Homemade Pomade DIY

I more I make my own things the more things I want to make! I previously mentioned I was going to try to make my own pomade. I made two versions. Well I made a third, but.... let's just say we may need a new blender.

What I used. 


I looked at a bunch of recipes online and kinda cobbled this one together. 

For pomade 1 I used
.50 oz bees wax
.50 oz coconut oil 
A glug of jojoba oil. Maybe a teaspoon?
And about 5 drops of each jasmine and vanilla essential oils.
Oh and I went by weight instead if cups and table spoons because this is a way more precise way if I ever want to make it again. 

I have an inexpensive kitchen scale. We use it multiple times a day. 


I heated it on a double boiler and when it melted I put the essential oils in and poured out into a container. 



This is what it looked like once it hardened. I tried to use it and felt it was too hard so I bashed it up with my finger. I do this with store bought pomades too. (Anything in a jar. I like to be the first to smash it)



I used a pea sized amount on the ends of my hair after curling. (I allowed it to dry over night. It was a frizzy messy mess)
It immediately tamed fly away and frizzy ends and have that nice piecey texture I wanted. 






I don't know about longevity yet. I'll get back to you! 

Pomade two was
1 oz bees wax
.75 oz coconut oil
.30 jojoba oil (I meant only .25 but I squeezed too hard)


While I had the oven roaring I made some other stuff just for fun. 



The little square box is a headache stress aromatherapy balm. 
.25 apricot oil 
.25 bees wax
Lavender peppermint and vanilla essential oil 

A peppermint vanilla coconut oil cocoa butter sugar scrub. No measuring I just winged it. It smells aaaaahhhhmazing.

Anyone ever tried making their own products? It all started because I didn't have any hair spray. I still don't!  Would have to buy a spray bottle to make it. Defeats the money saving. Ha. Cause I love cheap hairspray. I've tried expensive and the best is still the cheap stuff. Not sticky or cakey. I love Aussie which whenever I use Dave tells me I smell like purple.

UPDATE. 
It's the end of the day and it held up well!! Not very flattering picture but it held up great in the humidity! 



As a funny (not funny) aside. Someone asked me if my daughter was my granddaughter and 5 minutes later someone said something about my son!!!!



I mean pink lovey, rhinestone glitter sneakers purple whale shirt. Really?! 

Edited to add. I tried version two just now. Only needed a tiny smidge!





Comments

Unknown said…
I am not one to make my own products because I am just very last. The pomade looks pretty cool, though, and also the headache balm because ugh headaches.

So were the people you talked to like 5? Because unless you're looking through the eyes of a small child, I'm not sure how you would seem like a grandma. When you're a little kid, though, someone who is 16 seems like a grandma. ha!
byhillary said…
She was between 50-60 years old!!
Jane said…
Wait, what??? Grandmother?????? That is really a bizarre comment.

Your homemade pomade sounds awesome, and yours and Eliza's hair look all the prettier with it! :)
Andi B said…
Ooh, your pomade looks awesome. I want to try making my own now.

Someone mistakenly called my son a girl over the summer, when he was about 10 months old. He doesn't look girlish to me, but whatever. Also, when I was in my 20's, someone asked if my husband was my son. He's only 4 years younger than me, so yeah, insulting. People can be so rude.
Red said…
Maybe that lady left her glasses at home. ;-) And your little girl is so pretty and obviously girly! A day of weird mistakes for sure..

That vanilla peppermint concoction sounds so good I can smell it in my mind. And I love the baby mohawk! I've been meaning to make lip gloss for a year...maybe this will inspire me to get moving.
Kristine said…
I have been making bath salts like crazy for a year now. my kids are hooked. Epsom salt, baking soda with lavender, rosemary and eucalyptus essential oil. I form it into pucks or just toss the mix into a pretty vintage blue jar so they can dump it into the tub.

Bonus? The magnesium in the Epsom salts aid sleep...my kids sleep like the DEAD after a bath with this stuff!

My daughter and I have crazy curly hair, I am going to have to try my hand at this pomade, looks like it may help tame unruly curls!

The Mohawk is adorable!