Homemade lip balm DIY

You You The I have been wanting to make my own lip balm since Martha Stewart used to be a mail order catalog. She had a kit and it looked so fun and fancy, and over priced. Well 15? Years later I finally made my own. Best part? I didn't have to buy anything I had it all on hand.


They look great don't they? 

And they're made from....
Wait for it....

CRAYOLA CRAYONS!!!

Insanity right? I first came across it on Bentley Blonde a few months ago. She just used coconut oil. I added two more ingredients but you don't have to. 



I used

Coconut oil 
Shea butter 
CRAYOLA crayons (I suggest you stick with those. I'll explain in a minute)-
Vanilla and Rose essential oil


To make its super simple
 
Put a pot of water on the stove with a couple inches of water in it. Use a metal or glass bowl on top as a makeshift double boiler. (Some people use a ladle over a candle to melt. I just don't have a metal ladle!) 

Melt
1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon Shea butter
One peeled crayon or 1/4 of one color and 3/4 of anther. Get creative! Break a couple up!
Add a few drops of essential oil if you want to scent it. Totally unnecessary but I like a nice soft scent. 

Once melted pour into a container. You can use old Chapstick tubes, Altoids tins. 
I saw one person use a day of the week pill box. Kinda genius. 

I had these little paint pots. 

Just for starters I used just one crayon per color. I also cut the recipe in half because it made more than fit into the little pots I had on hand. 


From left to right
Violet red, red, carnation pink

Ready to see how they look?


They remind me of lip butters in terms of color payoff. I think if you press harder you get a richer more opaque color. I was just rushing through nap time honestly. :)

I also cut the recipe in half because it made more than would fit into the pots I had on hand. 


Here is me with one layer of the Violet red applied with my finger quickly before we left for gymnastics. (I am also wearing pomade 2) 

The color lasted quite a long time. A waitress and I got to talking and she liked how it looked and I gave her a quick tutorial while everyone with me was laughing because we hadn't ordered yet. Ha. 

You may be asking yourself the same question I asked myself and Dave. 

Is it safe? I can only attest that CRAYOLA is. 


From what's I have been reading about lipsticks lately sounds like this is much safer. Ha. No lead!

Best part? Well besides your own custom color for pennies?
Made in America! CRAYOLA is still made in Pennsylvania!

Any plans for the weekend?

I plan to make some more diy body products. The ones I have so far all turned out great and my body loves them and the lack of unpronounceable ingredients makes me happy. I'd like to not have to buy the insanely expensive "safe" bath products for Eliza!

Comments

Lorena said…
I would have never imagined you could do this with Crayola !
Belive it or not, I still have the Kitten Paws lip balm I won from a giveaway on your blog.