I am very aware that I am fortunate to me married to a "handy" guy. I come from a long line of DIY people. My grandfather and dad always fixed their own cars yet aren't even close to being mechanics. They had tools and a manual. (did I mention already the look the Subaru dealer gave me when I asked how user friendly servicing the engine was?) My mom had me in the DIYing early with picking flowers as a toddler for her dandelion wine.
I also come from a long line of stubborn tight asses. If there is a will there is a way. We don't need to stinking mechanic, tailor, dry cleaner, etc. etc.

But the whole thing falls apart with me. I am an idea person. I can figure out a solution to many thing but I can't carry them out if their fussy. Mostly because I am not good at the tiny work. I can do the big stuff but anything that requires intricate detail and I fall apart. I honestly blame it on my migraines. I have an unsteady hand that most the time shakes and I get very mad and I start using my adjectives. LOUDLY. Repetitive and takes a long time? Fine. Tiny little beads that require you to cross your eyes to see. I'm out. My husband will tell you part of it is a lack of patience which he would be 100% wrong with. It isn't that I don't have patience. It is that I would rather GET IT OVER WITH. He can spend hours on one little thing. NO slap dash GO. This is why I had a huge pile of fussy stuff that had been languishing in the second bedroom for months. Yesterday he did it all.

He hemmed 2 pairs of jeans on the machine. (I can hand hem. I can't machine hem. Unsteady hands and I can't keep them straight!)

He altered the sleeve on a shirt. I bought it even though I didn't like the way the sleeves laid because I knew he could stitch them up.

He fixed the sweater I have on today. I got it on clearance because it was "missing a bead" it was missing much more than one bead. Dave took the whole bottom 1/4 apart and re did the beadwork to look like it wasn't missing any.

He stitched up this super delicate shirt I bought in a hippie crunchy store and first time I put it on I saw two holes! The person who sewed it didn't leave any seam allowance at all.

He sewed the buttons back on a pair of pants.

He reglued the sole on a pair of my Marc Jacobs sandals. I love those damn things. They were $400 retail and I got them for $80 at DSW 4 years ago.

He sewed the front of a shirt closed. I hated the way the front faux wrap always fell open so he sewed it together to lay nicely.

ALL the shirts he sewed were sheer chiffon. I would of had so many holes in that stuff!! This is the same guy that the day I got a cashmere and silk scarf and I got it caught on an earring he sat there with a tiny crochet hook and PULLED The string back into place. A tiny little string!

How did he learn to do any of this? Just winged it! He has no sewing training. He just fakes it until he makes it. And scowers the internet for "how to" instructions.

The point of all this? Next time you say you can't do something. Ask yourself "really? Have I tried looking on YouTube or the interwebs? Have I tried?" Hell I suffer from this. I know I do. But maybe instead of "I can't" you can say "I think I can!" (chugga chugga chooo chooo)

Comments