Trying something new


This is a few weeks old. Eyeshadow is something I STRUGGLE with. I can't do the fancy blending techniques I see on others. I always really liked how people like Keiko Lynn always have the nice point coming out from the shadow. My shadow usually just disappears when I open my eye. I have picked people's brains (Looking at you Cassy) and I finally got it to look slightly like how I wanted!

On the right side (my left eye) I held my finger diagonally up to my eyebrow and rubbed the eyeshadow up to it and blended so when I took my finger away it was a nice line. Cassy said you can do it with tape but I worry about using tape. I am in the 30's and I already see my eyeskin getting thinner and more wrinkled. On the left side (my right eye) I did the same thing but when I took my finger away I went back with the brush and buffed over the line.

This look was my attempt to copy this look Keiko Lynn did. She does nice tutorials on Makeup Monday posts. She does a great little V which eludes me. But I keep trying!

I don't usually wear full bottom liner because I've been told by NUMEROUS make-up artists my eyes are too small and it just makes them look smaller. (When I smile they are super squinty) I kinda dig it here. I haven't tried this look again since I took these pics but I think I will try again soon.

Comments

Kristine said…
Oh I think you did a wonderful job! Looks beautiful, I love the color!
Unknown said…
Aww, you did good! I know you're not usually much for too bold, but I think you could even bring the dark color up just a smidge further. I have slightly deeper-set eyeballs, too, and it will help you not to lose the color.

What you can do as well if you want a nice crisp line, go a little crazy past where you want the shadow to end. Then take a q-tip dipped in makeup remover and with your eyes open, hold it at the out corner of your eye and sweep up and out towards your brow. I actually prefer that to the tape (which makes my skin tingle, I have issues with adhesives) This works better when you do your eye makeup first as you can go in and buff the area with a little foundation so it doesn't look -too- over-perfect.
byhillary said…
I love bold I just don't know how to do it and not look like mimi. I'll try the Qtip. Thanks.
Unknown said…
Haha, I totally look like Mimi sometimes. I love my blues.I suppose my saving grace is I'm not blonde.
Dave77459 said…
I like both sides. They both look so good!

How long does this take? I always admire people who put such effort into looking their best.
grace said…
Ooh, I love this! We have similar eye color and shape, so I am totally going to attempt this.
byhillary said…
Well under 10 but I go slow and kept stopping to look at inspiration pic.
Jessica said…
I love it! I don't feel as though I can comment on the eye liner on the bottom part without a picture from farther away, but up close looks great! I can never seem to do the v thing. I feel like I look off when I attempt it.

I also never have success with applying any eye make up with a brush. Do you use brushes often?
byhillary said…
I exclusively use brushes. What do you use instead?
Slaymaiden said…
I think you did a great job with the V's- I am totally going to try that finger thing. Thanks for the inspiration.
Red said…
I love the Vs and you did a great job with them! I've just recently learned to do that as well. Plus, my eyes are opposite yours in that they turn up a bit at the outside corners. So with the help of a lovely Chanel makeup artist, I recently re-taught myself corner technique--to not go so low, swoop up a bit instead and stop extending so far horizontally. It was hard! muscle memory kept interfering, but I like my eye makeup a lot better now. Blending is hard for me too though--I think I'm too anxious and afraid I'll wipe all the shadow off and need to start over lol. One more thing: I truly am not dishing empty flattery here, but I disagree with those makeup artists who told you your eyes were small. True, you don't have HUUUGE Karen Valentine/Heather Graham-type orbs, but they are not small. Your eyes are quite large, and very expressive. Anyway, I too leave off undereye liner lately--just a touch of impressionistic, eye-enhancing color is enough. I think the Duchess of Cambridge aka Kate Middleton has put me off defined, dark eyeliner altogether at this point! It *can be* quite harsh and aging, especially underneath. That said, I love what you did here, all of it.