Our weekend

Weekend of ups and downs.

Ups:
Got to see my grandmother, father and "step" mother (technically not married but doesn't matter)
Beautiful weather.
Random act of kindness from a stranger. (more below)
Seeing how happy the kittens were when we got home.
Opening the window at home and letting fresh air in again after 5 plus months of too cold.
Gram's gluten free crepes with baked apples. Super plus side of a French gram! I grew up with crepes.


Seeing how gram interacts with her little brother. They tease each other like any other siblings but there is a lot of love in that teasing. She is 82 he is 76. (They are 2 of 15!)


Seeing the couch gram reupholstered. ALL BY HERSELF. Yup she is 82. She used to do it from the house to make a little money but she always had pop to help. She did this all herself. The boy carried it to the basement and up but that is it. She said this was one of the easiest couches she ever did.

Fabric before.


After (everyone is scared to sit on it!)


My dad yet again fixing my car. I can't even tell you how awesome he is. He has spent no joke at least 40 hours on my car since we got it only a year ago this week.


Downs:
My great uncle passed away. He has been really sick and in a lot of pain.
Dad and Dave spending the day fixing the car. It is amazing that it was fixed but he has been sick for 2 weeks and he spends his first day off under the car. My dad works 6-7 days a week too. :(
Dave and I fell in the parking lot after some extreme shopping cart stunt. His right hand is pretty banged up and he clonked his head. I was a bit tossed around and sore but I am OK.
Cleaning the blood off the back of the car so people don't think we have bodies in our trunk.
Oh so the random act of kindness. I participate in them myself. Making someone smile is fun, and I have received many from friends, but this was a first from a total stranger. (I am not counting all the nice things waiters and waitresses have done or sales people) Dave and I were hitting up the one Starbucks for I swear like 20 miles in Dover NH and we did the drive through. As someone who has lived in the city for a decade drive throughs are a novelty to me and a Starbucks drive through just doubles my glee as we used it. We each got over priced giant coffees for the drive home and I got a little pie. As we drove up the woman told Dave while smiling the biggest smile. "Your order has already been taken care of" My instant reaction was to whip my head around looking for the yellow convertible that had been ahead of us. It was pulling out of the lot and the woman turn and looked at me smiled and waved! It made our day. Since we don't do drive throughs the paying for the car behind isn't something I had ever thought of but I am going to purposefully go to one and do it. I called my gram and told her and she said my pop used to do it do it for service men in Dunkin Donuts or restaurants. I actually know what the convertible's license plate said because it was so unique but I am not going to look it up because I know that wasn't her intention. I just plan to pay it forward. Good karma is good for your soul.

On a purely fashion related note. I have been wanting a pair of red pants for quite some time. I actually had bought a pair a few years ago but HATED them when I wore them. They just seemed like too much. I donated them and decided to look for something more in a cropped ankle cut instead of the flares I had.


Enter these.
I loved them at the store. I imagined wearing them 3 ways (as is my rule)
I got home and my shy kicked in. I immediately felt stupid and like it was a dumb purchase. In the light of my bedroom I felt like they were TOO too. I mostly feared I shouldn't be wearing a slim cut pant. Do you have any advice how I can wear them. Not just "oh with a black shirt and flats" More how I can, taking my style into thought, can wear them?

This was from immediately before I bought the pants. How cute is he? Poor thing had the flu for 2 week and this was his first real "outing" he wanted soup.


I had this. Chicken Dynamite. OMGITISSOHOT.


and a gratuitous kitten photo to round it all out.



Kitten sized samples! Fancy kitty feels fancy! (see I told you that all you gotta do is be nice to a sales person! I got 5 samples just for being nice to a random sales girl. Asked about a tatoo and told her how much I dug her look. She did burlesque!)

Comments

Jess said…
I love those pants! I think they'd look really cute with a chambray or blue oxford cloth shirt (I think you have both, or at least one, right?) with a cute belt--maybe a leopard print--and black smoker flats. There is a pair at Target I am thinking of specifically. (http://www.target.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/p/Women-s-Mossimo-Vilda-Smoker-Flat-Black/-/A-13692725) I'd see that maybe with a longer necklace. I also like the idea of it with a stripey shirt as in the picture, but if memory serves you aren't always a horizontal stripe fan.

They'd also look cute with some of your platform strappy sandals...maybe the Marc Jacobs pair I want to rip off your feet?

And now I seem like a creepy stalker because I know your wardrobe better than my own. LOL
byhillary said…
do I like stripes? ha!
http://www.byhillary.com/2009/10/zzzzzzzz-what.html

I don't have most those anymore though :(

Platform strappy sandals and chambray? YOU ARE A GEINUS

Stalker PISH you is a fren who pays attention.
Marie said…
Love red pants too, haven't found any yet...but I am hopeful, there must be a pair for short, stumpy girls like me. Sorry about your low weekend points, LOVE your grandmother's mad recovering skills.
Megan G said…
Aww! I love when people "pay it forward." People do so many kind things for me, I'm always trying to give back when I get a windfall. At Christmas or pretty much anytime I have leftover on a giftcard, I try to pass it onto another person in line.

You've started an obsession for me. I adore red pants, and those are very bright. I know you linked them, but they're sold out in the size I'd need - even if I could justify spending retail price. >.< I'm going to keep stalking ebay.

However for stylistic purposes - try pairing it with any navy printed top. I love charcoal grey with my red pants (seriously if I compiled my red pants outfits, they would be with grey most of the time).

That bright striped Old Navy sweater might go if the reds are complemetary. Ohoh! That black and white ocelot-ish cardigan with a cami under it with red pants. omgomgomg.

I know you wear a lot of neutrals, so letting the pants shine will take some guts, but I know you can make it Hillary fabulous.
Lab geek said…
I was scared of wearing skinny pants too because I am not skinny (not huge either). So I eased into wearing mine as if they were leggings. I wore them under super long sweater (too short to be dresses) and even some dresses. Now I am bit more daring!

And I love your red pants. I have been obsessed with finding some bright blue or purple ones for myself. Where did you get yours?

OK I have to go back to american pickers (am trying to learn negociating trick, am going to look at used bikes this week!)
Cara said…
I was going to say chambray shirt or striped shirt, too! Boo! Someone beat me! Grey is another alternative to a black shirt. I would also love to see a buffalo plaid shirt with it. Is there any shade of pink that would work with it?
byhillary said…
@marie I am 5'4"ish not sure if you are shorter or not but these are from gap and I rolled them a couple times and it seemed to work well

Megan mae they run small! Were they sold out in the next size? I didn't pay full price. I felt bad paying $30 on something so OMG BRIGHT. I wear mad color on top just not on my bottom.

Lab geek I LOVE AMERICAN PICKERS. these are from Gap. They were on sale last week. I think they run small and some of the commenters agreed.
byhillary said…
cara They are true red so yeah I think pink would go. I have a chambray shirt I think would work. I need a short sleeve one.
Jane said…
Wow, go Gram! and Yay Dad!! and feel better Dave!

What an absolute awesome stranger who did that random act of kindness for you and Dave. I have never tried that one before in Starbucks drive-thru, but I will now! Very cool.

Red pants, so lovely! How about something light up top, like a crisp white blouse, with a bright belt, with a metallic colored shoe/sandal and some really bright accessories. :)
EvaNadine said…
so many things to comment on, but i will focus on the pants. i think they would look adorable on you!
i could see them paired with your striped turtleneck while its cooler outside.
or with the leopard-print cardi you are wearing here (http://www.byhillary.com/2011/12/weekend-roundup.html)

im assuming the flowers on the top are orange since youre wearing an orange cardi, but in my mind they are red, and in my mind this top would look cute with the red pants (http://www.byhillary.com/2012/02/i-like-orange.html)

and finally, the whole second outfit here would look cute if you swapped the jeans for the red pants (http://www.byhillary.com/2011/11/jealousy-is-just-love-and-hate-at-same.html)


yeah. i think they would incorporate into your wardrobe nicely!
Lacey R said…
Your Gran did a great job on the couch!

Love those red pants, i want to buy a pair for myself too.
Heather said…
Sorry about your Great Uncle. :(

I also want red pants - badly.

shopping cart stunts - Frank and I saw some daredevils doing this on Saturday night and I commented that if that race didn't turn out well there was going to be a lot of blood. Sounds like I would have been right.
byhillary said…
@heather. Thank you. Did you see the pic of Dave's hand on facebook?
anaclare said…
i finally stumbled upon a pair of red corduroys i liked, and they sat in my drawer for weeks before i got the courage to wear them...now i wear them with everything! i'm not necessarily someone who is shaped to wear bright red slim legged pants but i end up getting a lot of compliments. i've found that if you focus on the shapes of things, and try to ignore the color then you fall into some (admittedly loud but in a cool way) combinations that work. seriously: i wear them all the time (I have a really dark purple shirt and a turquoisey/grey sweater that get heavy rotation with the pants)
anaclare said…
i finally stumbled upon a pair of red corduroys i liked, and they sat in my drawer for weeks before i got the courage to wear them...now i wear them with everything! i'm not necessarily someone who is shaped to wear bright red slim legged pants but i end up getting a lot of compliments. i've found that if you focus on the shapes of things, and try to ignore the color then you fall into some (admittedly loud but in a cool way) combinations that work. seriously: i wear them all the time (I have a really dark purple shirt and a turquoisey/grey sweater that get heavy rotation with the pants)
anaclare said…
i finally stumbled upon a pair of red corduroys i liked, and they sat in my drawer for weeks before i got the courage to wear them...now i wear them with everything! i'm not necessarily someone who is shaped to wear bright red slim legged pants but i end up getting a lot of compliments. i've found that if you focus on the shapes of things, and try to ignore the color then you fall into some (admittedly loud but in a cool way) combinations that work. seriously: i wear them all the time (I have a really dark purple shirt and a turquoisey/grey sweater that get heavy rotation with the pants)
Teresa Kulupka said…
your gram is such a rock star!

love those red pants! i have a similar pair but in a weird brown. i like the ankle cut.
Rachel said…
Love those red pants! You could pull them off for work with one of your polk a dot blouses (black or navy & white would be perfect), a blazer and the silver Clarks flats.
byhillary said…
See Facebook for how I did wear it.
Cindy said…
I love my red pants I bought last fall. I wear mine with an animal print top and royal blue Birkenstock gladiators or with a lime top, navy and white striped cardigan hoodie, and leopard print flats. I got these styling ideas from a feature on Kaley Cuoco in US Magazine last fall. Always get compliments especially on the lime top or blue Birkis (with the red pants).