Tiny Gestures

I work with a bunch of different kinds of people. That hasn't always been the case. When I was at Berklee it was a bunch of people my same age. I kinda got it. We got along or we didn't. After 6 years I still can't tell where I stand with people. I don't talk to anyone outside work or anything like that. We all don't even talk daily. (It is really odd sitting in a bunch of cubicles emailing one another all day. SO WEIRD) We don't really know each other that well despite working the same room 6 years because that is just how people are here. Don't know each others birthdays or any of that stuff. (Berklee was SO different. We celebrated every ones birthday with a cake and card and made a big deal of embarrassing them etc.) Both places libraries both totally different vibes. Everyone is respectful for the most part but people just keep to themselves.


Point? Two times this past week people did something to surprise me.

First. Last week I came into work one day to find this on my desk.




















I squealed. I literally squealed. In the week previous while eating foreign "biscuits" someone brought in I stated that my favorite candy bar ever is the foreign "crunchie" bar that you can't find here outside an import store.


THEY (I say they so as not to give away details) BOUGHT ME ONE! Dude. I mean RIGHT?????

And then yesterday I came into work, sat at my chair and felt something funny. I got up and saw this.


























Someone had rigged up a back support on my chair! I knew who did it instantly. Only one person could fold a hoodie into a perfect shape like that. 2 weeks ago I had put this chair pad out to the "donate to office pile" I had gotten it a few years ago and a different chair ago for my back. I have scoliosis and my lower back is killing me by the end of the day. When I got a new chair it didn't work and I couldn't get it it to stand up so it had sat in a drawer for years until I finally decided to offer it up. This person took it and asked if I was sure I didn't want it. I explained the stupid chair and how it didn't work. They went home THOUGHT ABOUT IT enough to come in and rig this up for me. WHAT? dude.

This made me feel all smooshy so yesterday I went out and bought cinnamon rolls and a pan (can't gluten up mine) and came in and backed cinnamon rolls in the staff room. (I have NEVER seen anyone use the oven in there in all my years)


















Then I sent an email about hot cinnamon rolls 9:00 am my desk. If people bring something they usually leave it on a table and people sneak by and grab some but I was making people come by. Just so I could have an excuse to say hi. I am so socially awkward that it gave me an IN! I could say Hey HOW ARE YOU as they grabbed one and ran. Normally I don't know how to approach people. Even people I've know for a long time. Hell I don't know how to approach friends sometimes! I get a text and I think OH OK we can talk for fear of initiating and annoying.

So yeah random acts of kindness. They rock. Go do one. You might make some one's day.

OH kittens ok. Yes I hear people like them. In the same vein. This morning I came out into the kitchen to see this.
























Dave gets up before me in the morning and Waffle usually joins him and Daisyboo stays and sleeps later with me. This morning she got up with Dave and Waffle was being her charming self and hogging the food while Daisyboo stood in line behind her waiting to eat. So he filled a little plate and set it at the counter and pulled up a stool for her so she didn't have to wait for the monster to finish.

Comments

HollyElise said…
CRUNCHIE BAR omigod.
<- grew up in Canada where you can find them in every gas station and food store. now lives in Hawai'i and hasn't had a Crunchie Bar in at least 3 years.
*jealous*
Jez In Dallas said…
I love love LOVE crunchie bars too! That's so awesome that they bought one for you. It really is the little things, isn't it?
Anna said…
I can so relate on the socially awkward/not knowing how to approach people thing. I'm currently looking for a job, and am especially nervous about working with new people. Yikes. Sometimes I will put off calling my friends (and these are my 2 besties, they both live far away) because I'm afraid that I'll be interrupting their lives in some way.
Stacey said…
I can totally relate to not wanting to "bother" people so I wait as well. I think that was totally awesome and I was able to exchange my gloomy mood for a smile after reading this post.
Robin said…
AH! I love random acts of kindness at work! Even if it's just a "Hey, you're doing a great job," it makes my heart smile. There aren't a lot of people where I work, so when someone does something sweet, it's not a surprise. Still, man...the number of times I've been given cake for being a good employee is astounding. I need to pay it forward more often.
When people do little, unexpected things for you that is the best! It's so wonderful knowing that someone was thinking about you for even a minute. The cinnamon rolls was such a good idea! Maybe you could institute a bi-weekly thing where people take their breaks at the same time and enjoy some goodness and friendliness!
Suzi Q said…
Sweet Lucy, I couldn't be more proud. Love to do kind gestures, it really makes a impact. It only takes a second to pass on kindness.
Juani said…
I feel bad,because if I had money,I would send you a whole bunch of Crunchies (I live in South Africa,where they are readily available).Alas,I'm saving up for my wedding,so chocolates (or basically anything nice) are out of my budget until September :(
byhillary said…
Sadly it would NEVER happen. Nothing has changed everyone still keeps to themselves, don't talk and everyone does their own thing. No one takes breaks either.

We have a montly coffee thing that is the whole place but people hate it and run back to their desks as soon as they can. (myself included)
byhillary said…
I appreciate the thought :)
byhillary said…
You know I do stuff ALL THE TIME. I just don't talk about it. Except right now apprently. Whose mommy bought happy meals for the homeless woman in homestead?
byhillary said…
No one here has ever said that to me. I doubt they ever will. People think I'm stupid. That is why it was so nice that coworkers shared a little love cause we don't get any "good job" feedback.
byhillary said…
about 1 hour after I posted this a friend texted me. I knew she read it :)
byhillary said…
I get STUCK. I now start out with "is this a good time" or "do you have a minute"
byhillary said…
the are so tasty... drool
byhillary said…
Maybe it's a good thing they are hard to come by that way we never take them for granted! :)
Jane said…
Gold. :)
Joy said…
This totally made my day. I love hearing stories like this that just so the goodness in people!
Bernadette said…
glad to see you back ;) I have office chair support envy...& crunchie envy, too.
Erin said…
A. You totally inspired me. I'm so doing a nice thing for someone today!
B. Holla! Crunchies! Love them, too.
C. Still sitting over here in MN, totally inspired. Thank you!
Lorena said…
I have not had a Crunchie in YEARS ! or a ROLO. I love ROLOS.
It's a different working environment - people tend to keep to themselves, but are nice and still willing to help.
I think it was a wonderful thing to do bring in those rolls....
Lacey R said…
oh yes Crunchie is a Cdn thing! But I'll take Wunderbars -- those are my FAVE!