Pinterest VS Reality

I want to start a blog series called "Pinterest VS Reality"

I love Pinterest for ideas but lets be honest... it never looks like the picture when I do it.

First up is this Martha Stewart Tortilla and Black Bean Pie.

The original inspiration photo.
































Photo Source
Of course we modified it to be gluten free. We used corn tortillas which fall apart if you cross your eyes at them. We added chicken and didn't have a spring form pan. That said our result was delicious!

























Not as pretty but damn it was tasty. I didn't get a picture of the pie because it didn't come out of the pan in one piece. I put it in a cassarole dish.

















I give it an A in taste. If you can make it with flour tortillas I bet it would be even better. (see crispy not smooshy)

Comments

Lia said…
You do realise that just as Cinderella and Sleeping beauty live in mythical far away places. So too does Martha Stewart. Great to read and dream about from books, but no living person has actually been there! ;-)
Unknown said…
I actually think your version looks more delicious :)
byhillary said…
thanks dude!
byhillary said…
My mil is pretty close! She'd totally make it look like the picture.
EvaNadine said…
while it IS nice for your food to look appetizing, i think its most important that it is tasty. and since you enjoyed it, i say A+!
besides, gooey = yummy in my book!
Casey said…
YUM, I would eat that if you invited me to dinner :)
I've done a couple DIY projects from ideas on pinterest and they've turned out OK, but not like the pictures.
Megan G said…
I agree, yours looks more browned and saucy (lol that sounds so wrong). I wonder how kidney or a tri-bean blend might work. I'm not a huge black bean fan, but the recipe idea sounds easy and delicious.
Emily B. said…
I'd say yours looks tastier and gooier and gf-ier. I'd rather have yours any day!
freeda said…
That looks awesome.
Dave77459 said…
Yours look perfectly delicious. I bet if you had a spring form pan and let it cool until stone cold, you could make it look like the reference photo.
Kristen said…
Love the idea of Pinterest vs. Reality, LOL! I posted a couple of my takes on it tonight.
http://lowfatdressing.blogspot.com/2012/01/sunday-cooking-building-blocks.html

P.S. Yours looks much more moist.
Helen said…
Kristen at Low Fat Dressing linked you. This totally CRACKED ME UP because I just pinned that same recipe last week. At least know I know what to expect LOLOL!