Sometimes you just need a little change

Camera Roll-1769

So I just needed some change. My roots were a good 3-4 inches long and I honestly was too cheap to have it colored in a salon. A major downside to hair this length and thickness is I get charged an additional fee because I always require more bowls of color. Just to have my lowlights and highlights touched up in a salon I trust (and isn't fancy) I was creeping over $150 territory and last time was over 3 hours!!! I wanted out of there so bad. That's why I waited 6 months to deal with it. When I do it at home I use 3 "boxes" of color and it takes me 1.5 hours. This time Dave and I went to Sally's and I called my mom a licensed hairdresser and she walked us through what we needed. I did demi permanent which is somewhere between permanent and temporary. They claim 24 shampoos. If I love it they sell the same shade in permanent. It cost me $30 and $10 was for reusable supplies. I am not perfect in my application technique and it's isn't 100% even but honestly I think I made less mistakes than the last few times I had it done in a salon. (last time I have two big spots that were missed by the hair dresser and she got a bleach spot on another part and she ruined by shirt which was brand new) I don't know if I'll keep it but for now I love it. It's going to fade and my red is hard to cover it always creeps back in.

This all started when my friend Julie went dark a few weeks ago. I decided to finally put up or shut up about it. I was inspired by these photos of Zooey Deschanel.

Camera Roll-1755

Camera Roll-1753

Up next talking Dave into giving me a trim!

Edited to add. I was sad to hear about Elizabeth Taylors' passing. The poor soul seemed to be in quite a lot of pain I hope now she is at peace. I've always loved her and did a photo in her honor a few years ago. No one could ever compare to her striking beauty.

Third time not so much a charm.....3/365
Camera Roll-28

Comments

freeda said…
Loving it!!
Cassykins said…
I love the new hair color! I think your Liz Taylor shot is great, too. So sad, but glad she's not hurting any more. I will tell you that I was shocked Zsa Zsa is going to outlive her, even just a little.
EvaNadine said…
gotta say, i think the red is still my favorite (red has been my go-to color for years also), but i am really liking the dark hair on you. both colors make your eyes pop, but in different ways. the red makes you look softer, i think, but the dark makes you look pretty bad-ass!
Brianne Archer said…
Zooey has the best hair but I'm starting to wonder if it's really extensions. She was my wedding hair inspiration.
byhillary said…
I'm a redhead by birth so I can't avoid it in the end . But you got it I sooooo don't want to be soft right now had 32.5 year of her. I'm over being her! ;)
byhillary said…
It might be but I think its hers. Tweet her and ask! She's on twitter! Is you do let us know :)
Lashaune said…
VaVaVoom. Love the dark look AND your tribute Liz.
Danielle O'B said…
Love the dark hair and the Liz shoot! Va Voom!
LPT said…
Oooh I LOVE the new color! I always keep an eye out for fellow-redheads, but now I don't know if I'll recognize you if we bump into each other downtown.
byhillary said…
Youd know me by the glasses and long hair!
alltumbledown said…
You. look. amazing. Your eyes pop, your skin looks so radiant-- love this shade on you.
Casey said…
I love the dark hair on you, you're one of the lucky ones who can pull off any color.
byhillary said…
Youre too kind, I wish! My two faves blonde and black both look horrific on me. True blue black in particular because of my red freckles. I'd love to do Gwen blonde but every the concenus is it looks awful on me :( I wanted your color! I can do red, strawberry blonde, auburn, plum, burgundy, brown I think.
I totally have photoshopped pics with most colors.
I love the dark hair! I dye mine dark too (from a brown/dirty blonde shade to true black).
And oh my goodness that Liz Taylor pic of you is amazing. The look in your eye is SO VERY HER.
Amazing.
mirta said…
it looks so much better and you look definately younger! <3
Megan Mae said…
I love the dark shade on you! Like I said over twitter, it makes your eye color pop - sortof how Zoe's light colored eyes are really obvious against her dark hair. I think it's a fun change of pace.

I love your inspired photo. I feel ridiculously young because I know Elizabeth Taylor's name and what she looks like, but barely knew of anything further. It's been a tragic few years of losing stars though, and hope she rests in peace.
Robin J. said…
Ya know, if you ever want to be a spy, you would pull it off easily! You would have no problems putting on different wigs. Not many redheads can pull of dark hair, but man- you do it so well!

Did you know about everyone's Girl Crush, Zooey, being in Your Highness?

Love your Liz tribute shot. Heck, I just love Liz. Always have. Here's hoping her legacy as a philanthropist lives on in others.
Juani said…
I LOVE the dark hair on you.It's beautiful!Ugh,you make me really want a fringe,but my hair totally sucks (it's super frizzy) and I suck even worse when trying to straighten my hair.I will just have to make do with druelling over your hair :)
byhillary said…
She was the most gorgeous actress in her heyday. Known for her violet eyes. She was married 8 times to 7 men and had affairs on many of them. She was one of the first celebrities to have a successful perfume empire and she was well know for her crazy jewelry collection. She was a huge supporter of aids awareness and best friend to Michael Jackson.

That was my elevator pitch on her.