My weekend with lots of words!

Our weekend started with us taking the train to New Hampshire on Friday night.

all aboard the 5'oclock to Portland on the Downeaster

We stayed the night at my dad's and on Saturday WE BOUGHT A CAR!

My newwwwwwwwww car

What is the big deal you ask? Millions of people have a car. Well Dave and I have had what I will admit VERY good luck with cars. Our first one was his parents 1987 Camry We never had any repairs on it while we owned it. Dave and his sister learned to drive on it and when Dave moved to Floriday he took it. We had it for a year before it was totaled. By totaled I mean an asshole hit us at a red light!

accident.jpg
(I don't think my family has actually seen this photo.)

It was sad to loose a car but especially since that very week we have turned 200,000 miles. Original clutch and owners! We had even taken pictures of it turning 200,000 and sent them into Toyota. (remember that campaign?) The  insurance for the 1987 Camry was replaced with a 1990 Camry. Which was in two accidents BOTH while our car was stopped! It was fixed up by insurance both times but other than that no repairs that we couldn't fix.(that I can remember! The accidents were pretty bad but both times they fixed it up pretty good)

fixin car

That car served us well and we had it until 2008. Dave and Pop and my dad had kept it up and running and repaired the holes in the floors and bondo-d the rust. We squeaked every minute we could but eventually it no longer was passing inspection so we had to give it up.

Me posing the day we had them come tow it away!

Special remix

We went without a car from 2008-2009. It was definitely annoying at times. We got by using Zip Car which is an amazing service and allowed us to try out 10+ different cars over the year. (My fave was the volvo with the heated seats) and we took the train to NH for holidays to see family. But in 2009 a few months before my pop passed he kinda went and took it upon himself to buy us a car. Don't get me wrong we were over the moon grateful. We didn't learn the true story until he passed away. What we knew was one day he said "hey so I want to show you something" and we went into his garage and there was the 1997 Taurus and all he said was "$500? what you think?" That was it. No explanation, nothing. Of course we "bought" it for the $500 knowing that is no way what he paid. As much as I loved him he was STUBBORN. He wasn't about to tell us and if he decided something that was the final word. Later we learned he had bought it off some girl and spent weeks fixing it up and spit shining it for us. I found out when he died what he paid when I went through his paperwork. Even gram didn't know. Well when we were there for the funeral my cousin and his buddies said "hey your car doesn't sound good" Figures it died when pop died. He was our "mechanic" so my cousin's buddy came over and fixed it up for us best he could but he gave us the news no one wanted to know. Our frame was cracked and it would cost 5 times what the car was worth to get someone to fix it. It was only a matter of time before it went and we'd be screwed. We continued to drive it this past year. I know STUPID. It had no AC, no heat and we drove it on borrowed time. No one thought it would pass inspection. It did.

wooo wordy and I am only half way there! So it was well known in our family we were going to give it up and "figure it out from there". We thought we'd just train and Zip Car until we had time and money and effort to actually go and "buy our first car". Then I got the text message from my dad "you thinking about buying a car? I might know someone with a 2001 Cherokee" I said sure why not! So he went and checked it out and came back to me and said it was an insane good deal and if we didn't take it he was going to (He has a 2000 Cherokee himself. It's his third one!) We went and met the guy on Saturday and drove it around. It fit our needs and our budget and there was a few things wrong with it but Dad said "I've owned 3 I can take care of these no problem" It was pure Kismet too that we got our tax return on the exact same day.

Dave and my dad worked on it on Saturday and my dad worked on it on Sunday and we now have a new muffler, brake pad, rotor and fender something or other! We have to do some paperwork and unload the car we have and then we can bring it home!I am excited we have never owned a SUV. The trunk space!! I said to my dad "think of the laundry we can bring home!" (Dad has one of those nice front loaders!)

Then Saturday night we headed south and spent the night at Dave's parents house. We spent the evening planning our FAMILY VACATION!

vacation planning

The 5 of us are renting a house in Halifax Nova Scotia for a week in July. Everyone is so excited we haven't all been able to do that since they came to visit us in Florida in 2000 and we went to Disney world.

All in all a great weekend. Oh remember how I said I was working on daily gratitude?

*I am grateful for a Dad who knows a lot about cars and always is willing to work on mine. (he learned that from his dad, Pop!)
* I am also grateful he knows lots of "guys" and we could get such a great deal.
* I am also grateful for the miniature kitten I met at the guy's house who us the car! He had a 10 month old kitten who was only 3lbs! We talked and Dave and I suggested it might have a food allergy because he was going crazy with the vet trying to figure out why it was so small and not growing but appeared healthy except for potty issues. I love that cat and it loved me back. We instantly bonded. The cat was letting me hold it and snuggle with it and he said it didn't let anyone! It swatted at my dad and bit him. It loved on me! ha. It was SO TINY omg I can't even explain how cute it was. Dave and I talked at length the rest of the weekend about how much we loved it. We even renamed it. If the guy didn't have a daughter he probably would of let us have it.


How was your weekend? Are you grateful for anything that you are willing to share? It was so nice reading everyone's lists last time.

Waffle's latest photo turned out like a bad school picture. Such a serious face.

waffle school picture

Comments

Tenn said…
Good luck with the Cherokee! I used to have a Wranger Sport, and Jeeps are dead easy to take care of and fix.
byhillary said…
That's what my dad said too. He is on his third. Which is good because no one knew anything about our taurus and it was awful to get at things.

I WANT TO TAKE IT HOME ALREADY!
Tenn said…
Good luck with the Cherokee! I used to have a Wranger Sport, and Jeeps are dead easy to take care of and fix.
byhillary said…
It's not my cat and he didn't "let it go" as I said in the post he'd taken it to vets many times and had lots of tests and they hadn't discovered why. that's why I'd suggested to him a wheat free diet.




byhillary said…
It's not my cat and he didn't "let it go" as I said in the post he'd taken it to vets many times and had lots of tests and they hadn't discovered why. that's why I'd suggested to him a wheat free diet.




Oktodelta said…
I always wanted a glider rocker so I bought a really nice one when I could afford it. But I had to give it to my mom because my cat loved to get on the top of the back cushion and it could not support the weight of a 10 lb cat on the back. :( I didn't want a broken chair or a hurt kitty so my loss was mom's gain. And who lets a cat go 10 months with potty problems and such poor growth? One of my cats had chronic loose poops until we put her on Iams. It's a little pricey but the cat is healthy now. The vet originally suggested Eagle Pack which was even costlier and helped some but not as well
as the Iams. Now I'm being wordy but I had to respond to cat issues!
Oktodelta said…
I always wanted a glider rocker so I bought a really nice one when I could afford it. But I had to give it to my mom because my cat loved to get on the top of the back cushion and it could not support the weight of a 10 lb cat on the back. :( I didn't want a broken chair or a hurt kitty so my loss was mom's gain. And who lets a cat go 10 months with potty problems and such poor growth? One of my cats had chronic loose poops until we put her on Iams. It's a little pricey but the cat is healthy now. The vet originally suggested Eagle Pack which was even costlier and helped some but not as well
as the Iams. Now I'm being wordy but I had to respond to cat issues!
byhillary said…
Oooh I'll so take you up on that!
Megan Edwards said…
Hey! I live in Halifax! If you need any info or tips, send me an email. (meganfluevog at gmail dot com)
Megan Edwards said…
Hey! I live in Halifax! If you need any info or tips, send me an email. (meganfluevog at gmail dot com)
byhillary said…
Thanks dude. They were front target but unfortunately cheaply made and ripped the first wear! boo. I wish I still had a pair!
byhillary said…
Thanks dude. They were front target but unfortunately cheaply made and ripped the first wear! boo. I wish I still had a pair!
Allison said…
Hmmm gluten free - that's a toughie! I'd say the Five Fishermen would accomodate. There is a place called Satisfaction Feast - a friend of mine is a chef there and they do all kinds of veg and special diet stuff so might be worth checking out. If you have time to head out to Lunenburg and La Have it's worth a trip! Oooh and the Farmer's Market in the Brewery on Sunday... or is it Saturday? Down by the waterfront. Super cool. Have fun!!
byhillary said…
Haas 99 was newer than any we'd previously owned. We would of drove ours until it died if the damn frame hadn't cracked. Also learned to drive and it's a 99. Your younger than I thought. Doh!!
Cara said…
I'm jealous of new cars! I'm hoping to get my '99 to make it to 300,000. However, my father-in-law (who is a mechanic) assures me that it's only value is the new tire and battery I had installed a month ago... but she's been my baby since I first started driving!

I enjoyed Halifax when I was there quite a number of years ago. If you get the chance, take the drive to Peggy's Cove!
Danielle O'B said…
Congrats on the car!! I've had my share of car drama this year and it such a pleasure to know that you have a good reliable car! I love the tights from the towing picture!
Candice said…
Yes, we do have the gliding footstool! I wasn't going to take it (the glider is a hand-me-down) but my sister insisted... and I'm glad she did. And my son likes playing on it, too.
byhillary said…
I texted my dad askIng to get a picture of Sparta
Dave2 said…
My Coworker has a Cherokee. He has fitted it with a snorkle kit and sealed the dash so he can drive it in water as deep as the hood. He loves "mudding". I have the feeling that it is a very reliable vehicle, and I think the 2001 was the newest of that model, so all the bugs should have been worked out.

Congratulations!

(I expect photos of Sparta if you ever see him/her again)(I want a kitten now)(dumb mothering urge)
byhillary said…
We only have room for a couch in my tiny apartment but I have talked about getting rid of it for two gliders those are the best ever! Do you have a foot stool with it? My step gram had one when I was little with the gliding foot stool I thought it was the coolest thing ever.
byhillary said…
We dont' get overtime here either. It is so weird to me that dave does and gets time and a half. At 4:30 I RUN. Sleeping in on a workday is my idea of bliss I am sure you were like a kitten in a sunbeam!
byhillary said…
oh I didn't take a picture of it. I wish I had. It was so cute you would of loved it. I dont know if it was a boy or girl I didn't check its bits. its name was Sparta.

Its a jeep cherokee which I didn't know until I read the book value on it is considered an SUV it is much higher than our cars. It rides hard but I have cushions my gram made I am going to try. (they are blue and flowered and tufted dave says they made the taurus look like a grandma mobile
Dave2 said…
You got an SUV! I hope it works great for you. Maybe you can get around when the weather turns yucky again. :-) How come there's no kitten pictures???

I went to a photography seminar on Saturday. I'm full of vim and vigor now, and my bank account is depleted. I'd been saving money for three months to buy something for Roxie, and now that will wait.

If you want, I'll ask my pal ion Halifax for suggestions. In town, or out?
byhillary said…
and any thing you could suggest to do or see we have nothing planned yet and are looking for fun things to do!
byhillary said…
Do you know if it's gluten free friendly? I am traveling with FOUR celiacs! ack.