They been knocking me sideways

Today's topic was inspired by a conversation sparked on twitter and Flickr over the weekend.

Let me get this out there. I did not invent stripes. SHOCKING I know. But I have been wearing them all my life. For instance in 1987... I am the headless wonder. Yes it was a skirt over pants outfit that CAME LIKE THAT. It was awesome. (also note the sailor outfit on Brandon. Totally hilarious coincidence. He is currently in Afghanistan in the Air Force)

1989

Again in 1994.... (don't look directly at my bangs.gah.)

10th grade? 1994/5


People have worn them for centuries before me. Monks, Picasso, Andy Warhol, prisoners.. yeah anyways, I just happen to love them and wear them a lot. I didn't realize how often until someone via Wardrobe Remix mentioned it to me the other day.I thought OH I only have 2 styles and I just wear them often. Uh yeah OK keep telling yourself that. OK so maybe I have more like 6. (possibly more if you count all the other colors I have. **cough**) In 2009 I wrote this post with this collage.

I like black and white stripes

I don't have the shirt I am wearing in 6 of those photos anymore. It got retired to the stripey shirt heaven. But I have replaced it again and again in various forms.

What I am trying to say and I haven't had enough coffee to articulate myself. When I like something I stick to it and do it. over and over and over. In all aspects of my life. I will eat the same meal every night, drink from the same cup yeah. I get stuck.

The hoodies? yeah same deal. I've always liked them.

page12

Yeah just sharing this one because it has hoodies AND cake.

page5

My point? Not sure if I have one. OK here is it it, its profound I tell ya. If you love something do it until you nauseate everyone around you. Oh wait no. Um if you love something and it works, stick with it. Wait that is great marriage advice too. But yeah. so ON TO THE OUTFIT. I haven't even taken outfit photos yet so let me go do that. brb.

I didn't want to crop this because I like the size of the stacks compared to me. But heck why don't I post both?

photo

*Outside pants Gap
*Inside bright red thick leggings. Unsure where I got them
*Boots Merrell
*Red top and Blue jacket Forever 21
*Shirt H&M
*Dog tags from my pop when he was in the Navy which was totally intentional with the feel of today's look and the french sailor stripes. Pop wasn't French he was Irish but I am French from my Gram but the Canuk kind of French.
*Scarf Marc Jacobs
*Makeup red lips, black eyeliner
*Earrings Elsa Peretti
*Ring and necklace Paloma Picasso Her dad was famous for wearing the stripes . (I like to take a theme to the nth degree, by nth I mean aNnoying degree.. My socks even match the outfit.)

without scarf

photo

It is REALLY cold here today. -20. I have on 2 pairs of pants and 3 tops and a cashmere scarf (uber warm).

With scarf

photo

I have a lot of photos from this weekend and some reviews so I will do a separate post later on.

How is your Monday? What is your weather like today?

Comments

hillary said…
What a fun post! I love seeing all of these older pictures of you. Cute grew into gorgeous! :)

I love the layered scarves today and seriously, your hair looks awesome. Seriously.
hillary said…
Bwahahaha. This post is hilarious. Your sass is ON today. :)
hillary said…
I love this outfit. I like how you add all the little details to make it special. I love what you wore yesterday, too, I even added that one to my inspiration folder.

xoxo
http://musicishername.blogspot.com
hillary said…
Wait you have a photo of me in my matching flannel pjs and robe from yesterday? uh oh. :P
hillary said…
I'd like to believe my sass brings all the boys to the yard
hillary said…
In my own imagined defense these are NOT the most flattering younger photos of myself. **cough** 1994 badbad
hillary said…
Stripes are very Hillary! I love that you can trace it back to your childhood! One picture in the stripe collage caught my eye (striped shirt under strapless dress - I think), and I think it might form the basis of my outfit for tomorrow! Thanks for the inspiration!
hillary said…
My Monday is kind of boring and I am really tired.
The weather is gorgeous, its sunny and really warm.
hillary said…
You saw that? I thought I didn't look good in it though. no? I think if I hemmed it like 6 inches. heee you have an eagle eye
hillary said…
You're hilarious and I love it! I'm a big fan of stripes too, they're not as intimidating as other patterns. Good luck staying warm!
hillary said…
Stripelove to the max.
Also: I totally love this look. You may wear it all the time: but that's simply because it's fabulous!

Monday is Monday is Monday. I like to start it with Elvis Costello's Welcome to the Working Week. It's sunny & 74ºF. It's ridiculous. I miss tights!
hillary said…
I miss tight too but for a different reason. Too damn cold! Booo. Just means I need to visit california again soon!
hillary said…
I love your blue jacket. It's so vibrant. The amount of stripes I own have mutiplied by the dozens in the past few months. Your hair looks really cute today.

My Monday is pretty good. I took a walk with the Hubs because the weather is crisp and cool, but not bitterly cold. I'm now making dinner of meatball-pasta toss with extra cheese.
hillary said…
Type your reply...
hillary said…
Little Hillary in the black hoodie is ADORABLE! (I have my favorite black hoodie on today; not only do I wear it all the frakkin time, but I sometimes sleep in it).
Weather is cold here, but not as cold as yours; we warmed up to 32 today, which is practically tropical for a Midwestern winter.
My Monday is busy--thank goodness a meeting got canceled so I can read blogs. :)
hillary said…
I was the one who mentioned your love of stripes via WR. I wasn't going to mention how many striped things you *really* owned, though! haha! Hey, if it ain't broke, why fix it? ;)
hillary said…
I love your stripe history and your current striped outfit. It's a good combo with the blue jacket. Good call wearing leggings under your pants. My legs went numb from the cold while I was getting gas today . . .
My Monday was pretty lame, I think I cracked my muffler so my car makes this wretched noise that terrifies me. Also we had to play a lot of catch-up at work since we had a snow day on Friday. However, I am currently eating some really awesome soup for dinner so things are looking up. Stay warm, and hope you have a good Monday!
hillary said…
Eek hope it's an easy fix.
hillary said…
I stand by what i said only still wear two items over and over. A wide stripe from target and a narrow from h&m I havent worn any of the others in the past two years. Until this weekend I got this shirt. So now 3 in active rotation. Own 6 total. ;) ( the three others I don't wear are all sweaters) all these are black and white.

But I have a blue, red and navy stripes that I'm not including
hillary said…
mimes also wear stripes! but i haven't come across any mime blogs.

anyway, stay warm!
hillary said…
Dude no joke I was miming this morning.
hillary said…
p.s. --I was inspired by this outfit. I'll be linking to this on my blog.
hillary said…
I didnt even know you had a site!
hillary said…
I'm a stripes lover, too. I love the black and white with the blue jacket!

It was almost as cold here in CNY yesterday -14. I'm so done with winter.
hillary said…
LOVE, love, love this outfit! And the third-to-last image with the books- great composition! I think it's interesting, too the way stripes seem to have become a "thing" in the last couple of years. But really they've always been a "thing." Either way, stripes rock!

I also wanted to drop you a note to say thanks so much for the button. I am still thinking on an awesome outfit with which to document myself wearing it. Stay tuned...

-Nikki