My weekend, an outfit and a review

Our weekend started with taking Waffle for her annual tune up bright and early on Saturday. Vaccinations and looking under the hood and checking organ function. The blood work is always the worst for me. I get so stressed out. If I have kids I will probably have to be sedated. Waffle was SUCH a good girl. She got in the carrier on her own. She didn't say a single word on the way there. (Daisyboo screams the entire way and cries until she hyperventilates and she umm has accidents) She didn't say a single word at the vet. She didn't even flinch from the needles. She didn't feel so hot Saturday night she had the shivers which she did last year too, but she seems fine now. My wallet is empty but I'd get 4 jobs if I needed to I love my fur babies.

Did you know stripey kittens have stripey flesh! We learned that with her surgery last year. So cute. Her little naked leg.

photo

The only plus side of it all? She had climbed into bed before the lights were off the last two nights. She usually comes some time in the middle of the night but both nights she came in while I was reading and got between us and got to snoring.

Daisyboo wanted to say hi .I potatoshopped her a little so you can actually see her. The vet confirmed it that officially Waffle is 50% bigger than her now. The little sister is the big one. Dave and I get confused when we say "the little one" we say "you mean the physically little or the mentally little one"

now daisy is the little on in the pictures.

We went out for Thai lunch after the vet. Which I loveeeeeee and is so cheap! I love that we can get one plate its GF and we can actually SPLIT IT. I missed that the most when he was diagnosed. Sharing meals. I'm picky and he can't have a lot of stuff. But Thai food we both love and both can share! I want some now actually. nom.

Sunday started out with fancy coffee drinks. Dave had a hidden barrista in him he never told me about!

photo

Look at that. Starbucks has nothing on him!

photo
photo

The kids are getting here earlier and earlier! I think I might have to come in earlier if I want a secluded spot! What is with all this studying? Why aren't they still in bed sleeping off a hangover like we used to. (I am KIDDING!)

Outfit

Jacket (has removable hood) 2009 and Scarf Marc by Marc Jacobs 2010 (Jacket is via Gilt last year)
Pants 2008, shirt 2011 and earrings H&M 2003 Heart Earrings.
Shoes Tory Burch 2011 Similar Latest "Lady's Nice Things" acquisition.
Bangles Forever 21 2009 Similar


I matched my makeup to my shoes and my jewelry today.
Gold and black shoes.

photo

Gold and black bangles.

photo

Gold eye with black wing.

photo

Black heart earrings

photo

Last week I got the Sally Hansen Salon Effects Nail Strips.

photo

To apply you find the one that most closely matches the size of your nail. (you get 8 per side but I still found that they didn't match my nails) You peel off and line up with your cuticle and lay down.. You then fold the end off and lightly sand it off.You use the included stick to make sure the edges are down nicely. If it starts to stick and it isn't straight you can't peel it up you just have to go with it. For example

photo

Now I actually have done strips about a dozen times before. I went into this knowing how to do it and it was still a bit difficult to get good results. A few nails weren't straight and I had to remove two and start over they were so bad.That night one of them was already coming up despite lots of rubbing down. I followed the directions exactly and I don't think they are going to last the 10 days they claim.
I would not recommend them. I think the old Avon ones were VERY similar but these are in prints and the Avon ones were solids. For $10 I say save your money, you only get one use out of it too! Instead spend $12 and get a Konad plate and stamper and you can do a pattern like this over and over as many times as you like. While it does look nice it is already peeling up! Not cool. Maybe for a very special occasion but even then I'd say pay the same amount and get a nice manicure at least they throw in a massage!

You may of heard we have had a record breaking January this year in Boston. We have broken all recorded history snow amount totals. We have had over 60 inches of snow in a month. We are due a storm tomorrow too. There is no where to put it anymore.

my neighborhood

While I don't mind snow I do mind LITERALLY climbing over snow banks to get off and on sidewalks. It has been on the news and in the paper too about handicapped people getting stuck on sidewalks with no way to get off. There is no where to put the snow. The cars are all plowed in with giant piles between cars, the sidewalks are covered. Hell I fell last week and hurt myself pretty bad from a badly shoveled sidewalk. I live in an area with all one way streets so there isn't even room to shove it to sides and fit cars. I dread the storm tomorrow. I need snow pants to climb over the banks.

How was your weekend??

Comments

hillary said…
thinking about you. I thought I had your phone # i was going to txt but I can't find it. let me know how things are going ok?
hillary said…
Thinking of you this morning.
hillary said…
I have the same feeling with my 2 cats, i did whatever i could do for them if they got sick :)
And i love those nails by the way, although it cracked easily but the pattern are lovely.
And i wish you well during the predicted storm, i hope you don't get it at all :)

YURI
The fashion blog:http://twothousandthings.blogspot.com
The other blog:http://tigerlilysbook.blogspot.com
hillary said…
Glad that Waffle did well at the vet! I have 2 dogs that think going to the vet is like going to Disneyland. Everybody is a new friend!
I love that you're wearing stripey socks with flats - I do it all the time.
hillary said…
I was just looking at some Tory Burch flats the other day. Are they comfy? I love thai food--the balance of sweet and savory flavors is so good. My weekend was uneventful--mainly lesson planning, although with the impending storm coming to Massachusetts, I'll probably be teaching my sixth graders until July!
hillary said…
Glad that Waffle did well at the vet! I have 2 dogs that think going to the vet is like going to Disneyland. Everybody is a new friend!
I love that you're wearing stripey socks with flats - I do it all the time.
hillary said…
such cool nails! Love the jacket with the striped shirt underneith....love the matching socks!
hillary said…
Omg all that snow!

I love your trouser jeans. Very cute. I love socks with flats, especially stripey ones. I also love your star bangle. Very cute~ I love all star things.

My weekend - I had a weekend? Hubs is working 20+ hours a week, taking 3 classes and just took on a writing internship. So proud of him, but I feel like our weeks have sped up x50. @_@ I keep waiting for the weekend where we can kick back and play Little Big Planet 2 for 14 hours a day. Now I've just started looking into V-day plans. I'm worried it may be too late to make reservations.

I also did a bazillion loads of laundry. A bazillion, yes. Gotta stay on top of house chores better.
hillary said…
That is likely true. They could melt the snow at the airport, because the de-icing pads trap chemicals.
hillary said…
laundry will be our downfall. We have to use a laundromat and we just kinda refuse. It is a never ending problem with us seriously. gah. I so feel so you on the not seeing. For awhile Dave was taking a full class load and working 50 hours a week and it was just awful I never saw him and when I did he was busy. All I wanted was to watch tv with him at the same time. Simple things I missed!
hillary said…
Oh man I worked in call center. It would have to be the apocalypse for the one I worked in to close. We only close on state of emergencies but even then we dont always (last week for example)
hillary said…
That sucks about the nail thingies. I was so hoping you would rant and rave about how awesome they are, but alas. I kind of suck at painting my nails, hence my hopefulness. Oh well, guess I'll just have to get better at painting nails.

How are your shoulder and elbow feeling?

Since I grew up in Miami, I love snow and winter. But there's a point where I've had enough. We've had 3 or 4 good snows and I'm good now. I'm ready for a warm sunny Spring.

I had no idea striped kitties had striped skin. Bella has blue skin where she has black hair and pink skin where she's white!
hillary said…
Gorgeous batik!!!
hillary said…
Confused? I don't have any batik on here. I do own a batik fish scarf though....
hillary said…
Ha, I just figured out your Disqus thing on how to comment, so don't be surprised when it sends you a random old comment I never got submitted.

You made me want to shave my calico, Effie, to look at her skin. Instead I should just take her to the vet, cuz she's due for a tuneup too.

I'm at home with a toothache, desperately trying to rearrange the long distance driving I have to do this week during the so-called blizzard we have coming. Blah.

I used to buy nail strips like that, they were just french manicure. They lasted pretty long and went down easy. I have no idea on the brand but they came from Walgreen's.

Dave is da bomb. He might even be almost as cool as my husband. Maybe.
hillary said…
OH no on the tooth ache! Tooth pain is so awful because my dentist said it touches your sinuses that either one can set the other off.

Yeah I wouldn't recommend personally shaving the cat but if the vet has to well that is ok. Waffles little legs have both been shaved from surgery and its SO CUTE seeing the little striped skin!
hillary said…
haaaa I just saw your other comment. I think you mean the other day my fishes. They are so cute. I LOVE batik and I love the smell of it. oh man I just to sniff the wax when my step dad would do it.
hillary said…
I had the exact opposite experience with the Sally Strips. I got the leopard print strips. Now granted, I only use one at a time, to do my left ring finger (my manicures are almost always just that finger. It's easy, it's quick, it's different and interesting). I actually put it on before doing a deep clean of the house on Saturday, lots of scrubbing and washing and laundry, to test it's durability, and it still looks like it was freshly done today! I would totally recommend them!
hillary said…
I didn't do any work what so ever I just sat on the couch and one nail peeled up after 4 hours.
Even if it hadn't it isn't worth $10 for a one time full set nails use.

You might find that you can't use the additional strips later on depending on how much time has passed. Once they have been exposed to air they harden. That happened for me.
I wonder if you would have a different experience if you did your entire hand because doing one nail is much easier and different than both hands especially with a non dominant hand. I don't use my ring finger often but my thumbs and pointer take a lot of the brute.

;) and I have been doing the one nail different for years but Lindsay lohan started doing it though so I might have to stop.

You should write your own review and give people another opinion. This is just mine.
hillary said…
I read that on the box, but I sealed them back up pretty tight ;)

I actually left this one on the coffee table overnight before I put it on becasue I came across the step where you need polish remover and was too lazy to go get it!
hillary said…
bwaaa that is SO ME. I think I have to GET UP and get remover? too much work. I think my couch has a magnetic field and my ass is made of magnets.
hillary said…
I love your stripy socks. Such a nice touch! Your eye makeup is gorgeous too. I cooked in a competition yesterday, and found myself noticing makeup of people stopping at the booth. I blame you, but also credit you because I told them it looked nice and they were appreciative.

Maybe the record snow will turn into record flooding and a disaster, and then I can come visit. I have heard, by the way, of municipalities trucking snow onto barges and then melting in the sea. A few hundred thousand pounds of snow will raise the sea level not at all, compared to a pending disaster if it melts on land.
hillary said…
I have seen the trucks picking up the snow and filling the back but someone was mentioning they were bringing it out of the city instead of the water because of all the stuff they use to salt the roads wasn't safe to dump in the water. I don't know how true that is.
hillary said…
Winnipeg is like that right now, also. No where to put the snow, and the sidewalks have been sacrificed. It sucks.

I hope the snow removal goes quickly and well post-storm for you!
hillary said…
Guess what? I finally ordered a Konad thingy and a couple of plates this past weekend. You convinced me! I'm so excited. I'm in CT and we're expecting snow tomorrow and ice Wednesday, not sure if it's the same for you. NOT looking forward to it. We still have entire lanes of roads blocked over from the last 2 storms. Luckily I just hit my year at work and got new PTO, so if I have to call out it's ok.
hillary said…
I love that you wear striped socks with ballet flats. I can remember reading a blog post once that said ballet flats were to be worn without sock, and I looked down and saw my black and white striped socks peeking out of the shoe. For a moment I felt guilty, and then decided I loved the look, and now I loved it even more that it was supposedly "forbidden"
As for kids getting to the library earlier and earlier, I'm blaming the sunrise. Usually I sleep until it's bright out, and these days that's getting earlier and earlier and earlier! I was working away at 8:30 this morning - a good 2 hours earlier than a couple months ago!
hillary said…
I would love to see how you'd style snow pants. :)

I think you should include cat pictures in every post. I love them! I miss my catbaby.

This outfit looks SO great on you! I love the peeking stripes - gives me some ideas for my 30 for 30 since I have a striped shirt like that!
hillary said…
Yup same storm. I am only about 2-3 hour away. I HOPE work is canceled desperately. Not much is better on a work day than waking up to a snow day! You will have to post a pic once you get rolling!
hillary said…
despite the over-exertion of effort, i do think the lacy manicure at least looks good. but yeah, since you can do something similar with your konad plates, no need to spend the extra money.
after finally having success with my konad set (thats to all your help!) i tried again last weekend or so, and i just couldnt get it to work again. now im wondering if the issue is the kit, the polishes im using, or me -- im guessing its me. user error is my thing.
but i shall keep on trying!
hillary said…
I get like that. I feel weird doing something I like but isn't "cool" but then I remember I have never been cool so I do whatever I like. I wish I had enough socks that matched all my outfits! I am not about to freeze or get blisters for fashion. Plus my mom used to get SO MAD at me for wearing shoes with no socks. Actually I wear socks in the summer too let me find a pic...
hillary said…
can you get it to stamp on paper? Maybe lighter pressure? Without seeing it I can only guess. I am SO all about user error. I screw everything up. I just don't post until I get it ;) You definitely get a filtered hillary sometimes.
hillary said…
I am such a priss I probably wouldn't wear them honestly. I NEED some though.
hillary said…
green stripe socks in summer with a dress.
hillary said…
green stripe socks in summer with a dress.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3221/2759946012_4a30e0f137_b.jpg
hillary said…
Totally wish my work would close, but unless there is a state of emergency and the roads are legally closed, we don't close. I work in the call center, so their theory is most of who we deal with is not in the area and therefore shouldn't be inconvenienced by our storm (or something like that) All the same, most of the company called out the last 2 storms anyway. I don't know why they insist that we can't close, I guess someone needs to get hurt on the way in to convince them.
hillary said…
daisyboo has hair that appears black but is very red toned in the sun and her skin is stark white under it all! When you part her hair you see the cute little white skin under it