My weekend and a Hello Kitty for Sephora review

Our weekend was pretty relaxed. Friday we watched hours on end of wedding shows and talked about how nice and ECONOMICAL my wedding dress was. How low key our wedding was and how insane these people were. Hee I don't know why all of a sudden I love wedding shows. 8 years after my own NOW I am interested in them.

Saturday started out with hot donuts! Dave made them from the Gluten Free Bisquick mix.  When you are Celiac you can't just go to Dunkin and get a donut. You have to make them yourself and honestly while there are many good gf for being gf recipes but they aren't that good. They were amazing!!! You almost couldn't tell they weren't real donuts.

photo

That afternoon we went ice skating in our neighborhood.

photo

After that we went to PF Changs.

Us again!



They kindly sent us a gift card after reading a tweet of mine about a big mess up with an order a few weeks ago (we got delivery and the order showed up and they hadn't put lid on and it was all over the inside of the bag. We called they sent a second order AND IT HAPPENED AGAIN. We were not happy campers Four hours and two ruined deliveries. Different drivers too. It was a problem at the restaurant with the packaging) . I will say that was insanely nice of them and they didn't have to do it and it was much appreciated. I am glad we gave them another chance because gluten free Chinese is impossible to come by.

After lunch we stopped by Sephora which is right by the restaurant and they had the hello kitty line! I got a polish in "Minty" (I am going to review the blush in Cherry Blossom later)



photo

photo

The color is as the name implies, mint green. It is an EXACT dupe of Mint Candy Apple by Essie. EXACT. I have both. The first coat goes on very streaky. So streaky that you might even freak out a little that it is going to be terrible. But the second coat changes it all. It makes it completely opaque and quite pretty. I love the color and don't mind its the same as the Essie one because dude THE BOTTLE. I actually bought it based on what would look prettiest on my bureau. Well technically I let Dave pick it out. I like to let him feel it made important decisions. It retails for $10. Unless you are a die hard Hello Kitty fan, if you are just looking for this color I'd buy the Essie. If you are a fan hurry up and grab one. (I actually still remember my first Hello Kitty item. It was 1985 and they were pink cord overalls and I would wear them the SECOND they came out of the wash every time.)

Waffle was her usual weirdo self.

photo

But apparently she is rubbing off on Daisyboo!! Daisy who so quite and well behaved was being like Waffle!! I have no idea what she was doing up there or where she thought she was going.

photo


Sunday Dave made pancakes! I love having him home again! This was when the penguins met the polar bears while Daisyboo looked on.

The day the penguins met the polar bears while daisyboo looked on

My friend Masami taught me that polar bears and penguins aren't ever together. They aren't in the same hemisphere. Did you know that? I had no idea! Of course once I found a little wallet depicting them together so I bought it for her instantly! SO weird they always depict them as friends!

I also updated my polish spreadsheet and updated my swatches too.

photo

They are all numbered and have a corresponding number item on a spreadsheet. Sortable by brand and name!

While I did this Dave made me a purse organizer. He had made a handful over the years and I have a bad habit of giving them away. I am that kind of friend. You say you like it I give it to you. My gram and mom know this and exploit it (in a joking way) and tell me they like EVERYTHING. Gram tried to get this purse away! I had to tell her it wasn't going to happen. :P She liked the kitty addition.

This is the purse I needed organized.

photo

I have a great fat quarter collection of fabrics from my mother in law and they were perfect for this kind of project. The outside of it is a Japanese print and the inside it a raw silk. (I never knew was to do with the silks but they are SO PRETTY!)

photo

He made it to fit my current contents I carry.

photo

It works a charm!!

photo

He cut up a free tote bag to give it the stability. (That was my idea!) I am trying to talk him into making some with our fabric stash and put them in our Etsy shop. We have all these small pieces of gorgeous fabric SO PERFECT for just this.

WOOO you deserve a cookie if you got here! Tell me how as your weekend??

Comments

hillary said…
what a pretty shade of mint green nail polish! that's it...i have GOT to paint my nails. i've put it off for far too long. i also loved the cat pics (who knew they could climb walls liks spiderman? haha!).
-brittney
http://adayinlifetoo.blogspot.com (my daily outfit blog; come check it out if you'd like)
hillary said…
Mmm, gluten-free Chinese. If you guys are ever in NYC, there's a great GF Chinese/Pan-Asian restaurant which even serves DUMPLINGS. It's usually my first meal upon arriving. Also, could you maybe send me the Bisquick/doughnut recipe that Dave made? As you can imagine, I haven't eaten a doughnut in a while and I MISS them. E-mail is chalkdustandboots AT gmail DOT com
hillary said…
Can I borrow Dave and his craftiness for a weekend? Dude rocks!

We went to the beach Sunday afternoon and almost froze our feet off, but it was SO pretty!
hillary said…
love the organizer!
hillary said…
Thank you so much for reviewing the HK for Sephora polish. I LOVE Hello Kitty, maybe I'll pick up one thing, depending on reviews, because its a bit pricey for me.

You are SO organized! I seriously need an organizer for my purse I usually end up with smooshed sticks of gum, a bajillion coins, and kleenex everywhere!

Anyway, lovely post (and now I;m hungry for donuts!)

S
www.windycityword.blogspot.com
www.windycitylady.tumblr.com
hillary said…
Honestly I wouldn't of bought it myself. It's a cute figurine basically.
hillary said…
I got to the end. So where is my cookie???
After this comment I am going on the Sephora site... Hello Kitty nail polisH??!!! That has go to be part of Hello Kitty heaven....
hillary said…
I said you deserved one not that you were gonna get one ;p

Kitty! Makeup! Eek! It's all so pretty!
hillary said…
You know what's weird? I have an unreasonable HK stash and I actually am not in -need- of anything from the Sephora collection. I don't know why, but it's not speaking to me. That is some nice looking polish, though. I'll have to look for the Essie dupe.

So this weekend... it was kind of a bust actually. One of my friends bailed on our plans Saturday and then my boyfriend and I were too tired to even go out yesterday. Basically I just watched a lot of CSI and Simpsons.
hillary said…
I don't collect like I I'd say 15 years ago. I did get a lot of stuff from
The MAC collab 2 years ago though but it was Killer!. Honestly a lot of the sephora stuff was too young for me. I don't do the chunky glitter makeup anymore. Shows the crowsfeet :p
hillary said…
I paid $300 in 2002 I bought the first and only dress I tried on. My entire wedding, and I mean everything sit down wedding at a gorgeous place with open bar, 50 people, honeymoon cruise to Mexico with flights, dress, suit, all of it. $6,000. We got married the week before Christmas which apparently is the slowest week for weddings so we got everything virtually at cost because no one was using anything. And I did everything in 2 months to the day. Oct 14-Dec 14. Back then there wasnt wedding blogs, just Martha Stewart mail order. So I'd do it differently if had to do again but I loved mine. It included our wedding rings too. And an extra ring (it was an estate sale)
hillary said…
How economical was your wedding dress, if you don't mind? I *may* have had Scott watch some dress shows before I went dress shopping, so when I told him the total, it blew his mind about how awesome of a bargain hunter I was. I still spent more than I had hoped, (but still half of what my sister did!!), but that always tends to happen. With the exception of the rings, we've been under budget for everything!

You and Dave are so sweet - I'd love to be skating!! It's so romantic!!

My weekend was pretty awesome too, probably the best we've had in a while. I love weekends that don't include homework!
hillary said…
I definitely scooped up some stuff from the MAC collection (and won't take it out of the packaging, lol) My bf, mom and brother make sure I'll be collecting HK forever, though. For Christmas, my bf gave me a HK plush that smells like Strawberry Shortcake did. I have been sniffing that thing for a month now.
hillary said…
Do you have the Demeter perfume? It has the hello
Kitty smell. It's soooooo weird and I love it. That Sanrio paper smell.
hillary said…
Ok! I also made GF donuts this weekend from this recipe: http://culinaryadventures-daniellabella.blogspot.com/2011/01/gluten-free-donut-holes.html

They were utterly delicious! Perfect! I love the nail swatches. I love any activity that involves organizing fun things and putting them into a database! And that purse organizer is pretty amazing! I have a huge bag and I end up mostly just sticking my head inside to find the one small item I need! My weekend was good: involved games night, girlie chats, tobogganing, and donuts...
hillary said…
You so should totally be selling the purse organisers on the Etsy shop! I change my bag at least twice a week and one of those would actually change my life!
hillary said…
Whenever you show your nail polish wheels and mention the corresponding spreadsheet, it makes my little OCD heart beat a little faster. So wonderful.

Love the purse organizer too.
hillary said…
That Hello Kitty bottle is super-cute ... but the bear and penguin pancakes are cuter!

I have a celiac friend I would like to try to bake a Valentine's treat for -- do you and Dave have a favorite source for GF recipes? I am going to do some googling around today, and I'm also asking everyone I know who lives GF.

My weekend was quiet -- my boyfriend came down with a cold/flu, so Sunday I tried to be super-quiet so he could sleep all day. I basically Hulu'd TV shows in my pajamas all day and ate delicious leftover shrimp dumplings.
hillary said…
I LOVE that purse organizer. I really need one, but all the commercial ones are so fugly. Put some in the shop, Dave--I'll buy one!
hillary said…
That is why he made it originally. I had seen one on an infomercial that was like tan nylon and I thought EWWW great idea but eww
hillary said…
Honestly we just google whatever we want to make and then find one that is say best reviewed or has the prettiest picture. We used to have cookbooks but we never seem to use them anymore..Betty Crocker has a gluten free brownie mix commercially available at grocery stores right now and the other night we made those and put in white chocolate chips and drizzled caramel and it was amazing.

I also really love Namaste spice cake mix. Its expensive but it is amazing.
hillary said…
I'm forwarding this to him. :)
hillary said…
Do I get to pick which kind of cookie? :)

I totally want some donuts right now. And I want to go ice skating. And have I mentioned that I love your cats? (See, THERE'S something you wouldn't give away!)
hillary said…
OH MY GOD. Tiny animal pancakes! That makes me so happy.
hillary said…
The base recipe came from this link with alterations:
http://www.celiac.com/articles/926/1/Quick-and-Easy-Donut-Holes-Gluten-Free/Page1.html

I used:
1 egg
½ cup sugar (I think I forgot this actually)
1 tablespoon oil
3/8 cup Silk
1 ¾ cup Bisquick Mix
¼ teaspoon cinnamon

And dust with powdered sugar.
hillary said…
I loooove the fabric used for your organizer! It's so pretty. I would totally buy one like that off of Etsy from you guys. :-) I have one that is really big and fits in the bottom of the bag but I like how yours just curves around the outside instead...I think it'd work in my new bag (the one you also have).

I also love your Nook case, but I'm biased since I have the same one. yay purple!
hillary said…
Looks like you had a great weekend... Dave is so freaking talented...knitting, the purse organizer, I am very impressed. Love the organized nail polish colors!!
hillary said…
Please ask Dave to start selling those organizers in your etsy! Or at least make us a tutorial for how to craft one if he doesn't want to deal with constructing them to sell. I am in desperate need!

As always, I love your cats. Waffle pics just make my day!

Took my step-daughter clothes shopping this weekend & it was way better than expected. No attitude whatsoever, which is a welcome change. 15 yr olds are so much fun (insert sarcasm).
hillary said…
Waffle is a superstar! That japanese fabric is so pretty! I didn't know that about polar bears and penguins- I assume one lives in the North pole and the other is the South? *running to google/wiki*
hillary said…
Wow! I'm impressed. Then again, we've got triple the people coming (I have a huge family), so I guess it's not surprising we're (sigh) spending triple the amount! I find now, when we actually have to sit down and make decisions, the plethora of ideas and blogs that are are overwhelming. I stopped browsing them, and buying wedding magazines pretty soon after I realized how much there was!!

Also - I did definitely use your outfit from your stripes post the other day for my inspiration for today!
hillary said…
We intentionally kept it that small for that very reason. I am an only child but since my gram Has 15 Brothers and sisters I have an insanely
Large extended family. We were also 23 at the time and had
Moved cross country 2 months prior so no friends were invited.
hillary said…
1. Those donuts look awesome.
2. I want that Hello Kitty nail polish just for the bottle.
3. That purse organizer is amazing. Dave has some serious talent.
4. My weekend involved a police academy graduation party, and looking at a condo I just found out I can't afford :(
hillary said…
Thanks! I usually go by prettiest pictures, too -- I love Jamie Oliver's cookbooks because I think the photography is delicious. I noticed at the grocery store this weekend that there are more and more gf mixes -- maybe I will start by fancying up one of those. Will also look for the spice cake mix!
hillary said…
Dave just mentioned something i should tell you. Whatever you make her you should get a disposable pan and you could even mix it up in it. That way she won't stress that it was made in a gluten pan and that you can easily send her home with it.
hillary said…
First of all, those donuts look delicious! And I think I need that Hello Kitty nail color! I am your newest follower :)
hillary said…
I know you love Hello Kitty. Have you ever gone to Hot Topic? They have a ton of awesome HK stuff there. Also, if you ever get a chance, go to Japan or Korea. I have so many Hello Kitty things (folders, notebooks, bento boxes, etc) on the cheap.

I love HK, too!
hillary said…
I don't really collect anymore like I used to. Much of that Hot Topic stuff is too young for me. Or at least I feel so old in there. I really try and only collect things I will use now. I had so much just little fussy stuff for so long but now that she is everywhere it isn't as much fun as it used to be 20 years ago hunting down a place with something. Japan is on my bucket list for sure.