T.J.Maxx and Marshalls your holiday gift headquarters!
If they aren't already your holiday gift headquarters they might be once you read this! The VERY lovely people behind T.J.Maxx and Marshalls contacted asking if I would like to work with them again and check out their holiday fashions. Of course I jumped at the chance and seriously they have the nicest people working for them. They honestly deserve a star award. Since I have worked with them in the past (see post here) they invited me to a Virtual event called Behind the Seams where we all met online at a certain time and a stylist showed us some holiday fashion and gift ideas. It was a lot of fun I even saw some bloggers I admire there (Keiko Lynn!) I got some great gift ideas and learned some fun facts about their stores.
At Marshalls I got these Restricted boots for $49.99. These exact boots are available on a certain popular online shoe store right this minute for $90. They are real suede and have a 4 inch heel but with a hidden platform. They are extremely comfortable (seriously) and I might of ran in them. Twice.
* They get 10,000 new items weekly to EACH STORE. They get so much merchandise they can't put it all on the floor so it doesn't hurt to ask if they have more sizes of an item in the back.
* They make deals with buyers and designers to get items for 20 to 60% below department store prices. Sometimes you may notice the price "compare at" is actually lower than the retail price. (They like to be modest sometimes)
* The reason they can keep the prices so low is they don't pay to advertise the designers they carry. They also don't invest in decor or displays. The focus on getting the best deal on designs.
* It is a misnomer that everything they carry is last season. They do have some last season items and they will actually be marked on the tag as "past season" many of their items are current season and you can find the exact same item in fancy department stores. I personally saw a Michael Kors bag on Saturday that is currently available still at Macys.
* One of the ways they get a great deal is they will get colors of items other stores didn't pick up. Say Macys only picked up the pink and white in a Ralph Lauren shirt and the designer made it in pink, white, green and black! TJMaxx or Marshalls can get a great deal on those other colors! (I have noticed that before. I found a Kate Spade bag in a popular design in a GORGEOUS orange color I have never seen)
They sent me an amazing array of gifts for attending their event. I got some great Christmas ideas from it too. (Not pictured the cute beret in today's post!)
Both stores carry similar items but Marshalls doesn't have a jewelry department. They make gift giving simple. You could buy an inexpensive basket or stocking, put a fancy soap and a bag of lotions and a little handtowel and you would have an awesome hostess gift for under $25. I walked around T.J.Maxx and found lots of great gifting options for you guys all for under $25 (some items were as low as $3). Both stores have an outstanding array of gifts options.
Fancy soaps in beautiful boxes. The ones I picked up were from $3 to $10. As I said they would make a great hostess present. They are already wrapped too! Just put a ribbon on it. My gram loves these and she leaves them in her drawers to make her clothes smell nice.
The also have a huge selection of fancy pump soaps. If you know someone's bathroom or kitchen covers these make a great quick gift for $5!!! And they are really big size too!
Dude hello kitty flannel pjs for $14.99!!!!! (hey family you see this? Size medium) Get these and a pair of fluffy socks and for $20 you have a great BFF gift.
Or some cocoa to go with those PJs. You could get both or $20.
Designer kid leather gloves for $25 (They had some for $10). (Perfect for your inlaws! Shhhh don't tell my sister in law) Dave actually surprised me with the magenta Cynthia Rowley ones with a bow on the wrist. They are so soft I pet them while waiting for the T in the morning.
I hope I gave you some inexpensive gift ideas and inspired you to check out T.J.Maxx and Marshalls for your holiday gifting needs. I apologize in advance for any addiction to those stores I create. ;) OK no I don't!
But what did I get you ask??? Well I got something at T.J.Maxx. I got this Maggie London dress for $20. My wedding anniversary is in a few days. I plan on wearing this to celebrate. (
At Marshalls I got these Restricted boots for $49.99. These exact boots are available on a certain popular online shoe store right this minute for $90. They are real suede and have a 4 inch heel but with a hidden platform. They are extremely comfortable (seriously) and I might of ran in them. Twice.
It is too cold for outside photos anymore. This is what I have to work with. I can't wait until Spring when I can go back to natural light!
The boots and the dress were both bought with gift cards provided to me by Marshalls and T.J.Maxx.
Ready for the best part? T.J.Maxx and Marshalls want to give one lucky reader out there a $100 dual store gift card. Here is how you can try to win it. We are competing against the other bloggers who attended the event. The site with the post that gets the most comments by 5pm EST on December 20th will win the card to give to one of the commenters at random. (I don't win anything. You my dear readers could be the winner!)
So lets see those comments!!
Possible topics:
How cute will this outfit be for my wedding anniversary.
Have you ever shopped at T.J.Maxx or Marshalls.
What is the best deal you ever got.
Under $20 gift ideas.
The best present you ever received.
What you wanted to be when you grew up.
So go forth and comment. (on this post in specific) Please feel free to tweet or blog about this post. Please leave an email address to be entered to win. (format it with the AT and DOT to avoid the spam bots)
Comments
You look fab, fab, fab in that dress.
I am a big TJ Maxx fan- Marshalls has good stuff, but I find the bargains at TJ Maxx.
As an aside, last year I found the best smelling gingerbread handsoap at TJ Maxx, and I can't find anything like it this year. I'm bummed- it was perfect for the winter.
I only recently started shopping at TJ Maxx because there's one near my new place. I LOVE it. I bought a red Calvin Klein dress for $49.99 [I wore it on last night's post] which I've already worn a bunch of times.
I hope we win!
chalkdustandbootsATgmailDOTcom
I guess I'll have to check T. J. Maxx!
clcroxford at gmail dot com
I've had really good luck at TJMaxx, both for me and Hubs. I like shopping there for his clothing. I don't have as good luck with Marshalls, but I think it's a location based thing.
As for what I want to be when I grow up - I wanna be an archivist, specifically with old books.
http://www.noonewatching.com/archives/2010/11/holiday_shopping_advice_dont_f.html
avengingophelia at gmail dot come
rebekah[dot]diehl[at]gmail[dot]com
your crazy awesome boots made me think of this!
anyway, count me in on the comment contest (obviously)
dashdotdotty at gmail dot com
lynn_w(at)softhome(dot)net
Those boots are hotttttttt. Seriously. Wowza.
I haven't been there in a while, and should totally go. I don't even know if there's a Marshall's in my town? Must google.
Your outfit is great. You will wow Dave.
The best deal I ever got at TJMaxx was a fully lined wool two piece suit for $20. I am a seamstress and you can't buy that kind of wool for less than $20 a yard. I still wear the skirt all winter long...but I do need boots to go with it. So pick me.
saraspnda AT yahoo DOT com
also i really love your new glasses! the hint of blue is the best part about them.
amazing, hillary! it looks fab on you, and i love the boots with it -- both great scores!
Have you ever shopped at T.J.Maxx or Marshalls.
shopped at both, and i love it when i have a good amount of time to spend in there. much like thrifting, i prefer not to go with something specific in mind, but instead to dig around and see what i find! (dear husband especially loves to hit up the toy section st Marshall's for gi joes!)
What is the best deal you ever got.
i got a dress at Marshall's once on a whim. i dont remember the brand, but it was on such reduced sale that i bought it, even though i didnt know that i would EVER have anywhere to wear it... i ended up wearing that dress more times than i can remember and got so many compliments on it. i finally had to retire it when it got holes in it, but if i saw it again today, i would snatch it up in a heartbeat!
Under $20 gift ideas.
toys for the kids, cooking gadgets for the cooks, candles, bath products, hats/scarves/gloves -- so many options!
The best present you ever received.
a power drill. when i was 23, i bought a house all by myself. my mom wanted to buy me a cute little pink toolset, but i wanted power tools. my dad (or my brother?) bought me a power drill, and i still have it and use it all the time. dear husband tries to be handy, but then i take the drill from him and say "let me show you how its done." ;)
What you wanted to be when you grew up.
a Rockette.
I love TJ Maxx. I got addicted to the store when I was in college. I was actually there last night and got a nice pair of pants for $20.
I love me some Marshalls and TJMaxx. I could really stand to get some new dresses and they would be the perfect place to get them.
aphumphries (at) hotmail (dot) com
If only I had a holiday party to attend..
megan(dot)schwartz(at)comcast(dot)net
I love TJ Maxx, it is my go to place for dresses and PURSES (zomg.. the purses...)
Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge
Also, that dress is STUNNING on you. I bet Dave loooooves it!
Super Cute! The dress looks amazing on you!
Have you ever shopped at T.J.Maxx or Marshalls.
Yes, both. I like TJ Maxx better though.
What is the best deal you ever got.
Awesome Bath towels for like $5 a towel
Under $20 gift ideas.
You can do so much for undwer $20 at the Maxx. Cooking basket, beauty basket, clothes. it's never ending
The best present you ever received.
A bicycle for my 7th christmas
What you wanted to be when you grew up
a Veterinarian.
I happen to LOVE TJMaxx to death. I can guarantee I'll find something fun and within my budget at the jewelry counter every single time I go.
natalieckennedATyahooDOTcom
mlister AT umich DOT edu
Also - love love love the dress and boots. Perfect anniversary outfit!
ADORABLE!
Have you ever shopped at T.J.Maxx or Marshalls.
Yes - the only time I find deals is when shopping with ONE friend of mine who lives in another state! BOO
What is the best deal you ever got.
Silk BCBG AMAZING blouse for $7
Under $20 gift ideas.
A cashmere scarf!
The best present you ever received.
The pots and pans I had been drolling over!
What you wanted to be when you grew up.
A Ballerina - I failed at that and now program computers - BOOOO
lawschoolfashionista (AT) gmail (DOT) com
Thanks for explaining about the store decor - makes sense why they're not investing in that. But that has always been my big gripe about these stores - I love 'em but wish they looked prettier and welcoming.
cactusknitsATgmailDOTcom
themadstyleestATaolDOTcom
wardrobeoxygen at gmail dot com
gypsumoon at embarqmail dot com
T.J. Maxx is my go-to place for Born shoes and designer purses. Love their homegoods, too. Ya never know what you're going to find -- which makes it fun!
The last time I shopped at TJ Maxx I bought the cutest set of martini glasses...they are all broken now so I need to go back and see if I can find a new set!
blueshi@hotmail.com
musicishername at gmail dot com
My most memorable Christmas present was a set of monogrammed pencils and a pad of paper with my name spelled out as a Civil War era southern woman's hoop skirt. First thing I had ever received with my name on it.