NO MORE BULLIES!

Ah sometimes you fall into a time trap. Monday I was home sick from work, yesterday and today Dave had to leave much earlier than me so couldn't take my pictures and he seems to have the camera with a timer with him or waffle craigslisted it again.

But today I wore purple in solidarity to help with the awareness of gay and lesbian bullying among children, teens, young adults and adults.

(edited to include photo of my purple)
picnikfile_zpkFui

I wore purple shirt, tank, necklace and eyeshadow. (It was all I had or I would of worn more!)

One of my oldest friends, Steven who happens to also be gay is currently being the victim of a hate crimes in his hometown of Tilton NH and the police aren't doing ANYTHING ABOUT IT. He has lost his home and business because of the crimes. He doesn't feel safe in his own place of business and it is disgusting. People have made judgments on him as an individual because of his sexual orientation his entire life.I have known him for 25 years and all his life he has been bullied because he was "different" in the eyes of others. He has literally been beaten, called names and had his business defaced. Yeah you know how he is different? Because he is AWESOME. He is one of the kindest, sweetest people you would ever meet. He stood by my side on the playground and stood up for me others would pick on me even though he knew he would be targeted because of it. When he asks you "how are you doing today?" he actually wants to know. He is currently running to be a state representative and while the odds are stacked against him he wants his voice and the voice of other gays and lesbians to be heard.I wish I was a NH citizen so I could vote for him.

I gotta say seriously WHAT IS IT of anyone else's business who we decide to love? If you love a man, woman or both WHY does that make you less of an American Citizen who deserves rights? If you uphold the laws, pay your taxes and are kind to your fellow man it shouldn't matter who you love and you should be able to marry that person. My state of Massachusetts allows gay marriage. I don't know why in the same country it is legal in some spots but not others. Shameful.

You don't have to agree with me. I have friends that do not. But we are still able to have a mutually respectful relationship successfully. I ask the same of you. I think many people can agree though that it is not governments business who you love.

Comments

v said…
completely agree. I dont understand why love has anything to do with politics. being gay does NOT make anyone "lesser" of a human being.
Angela said…
I am wearing purple today also. Virtual hugs to your friend.

My sister is gay. She has children. She was married. She is now happy being who she is. I support her and everyone of my other friends that are gay. I love them all!
Anonymous said…
I'm also wearing purple today and I'm to see that this message gas spread all over. It's so sad how much hate people are filled with, it's disgusting and I often question what kind of person could feel so strongly about another person's sexuality to hurt and bully them. Just disgusting and saddening, it kinda makes you lose faith in humanity (not that I feel this way all the time, there's too many wonderful people in the world).
Julia said…
yes yes yes. Thank you for this well written post.
Vivi R said…
I'm wearing purple today too but just by coincidence, I didn't know this was going on today. My brother is gay so this hits close to home for me...thanks for the well written post!
Dave77459 said…
"Yeah you know how he is different? Because he is AWESOME."

Best line I have heard in a long while.
Kenlie said…
I'm so proud of you for always saying what you feel..and I agree..the gov't shouldn't play a part in it..just saying.
m.bibelot said…
thank you thank you thank you for writing this! i agree 100%. and what ever happened to separation of church and state?
Heather said…
I wore purple accidentally today but I'm telling everyone it was on purpose because I'm against bullying in all form!

Thank you for writing such a wonderfully supportive post and including your thoughts about your friend. Being gay doesn't define him - being awesome does. Someday people will all agree on this point is my wish.
hillary said…
Thank you so much everyone for taking a moment to cheer me on.

I didn't want to get into it in the post but I was a victim of bullies growing up. It got to the point that my parents had to talk to the police. I know what it is like to be on that end of it and I don't ever want to do that to anyone. I want to do my part in stopping others from doing it as well. Have you heard about the GROWN ADULTS bullying the dying child? Disgusting.

I don't think I ever bullied anyone but I know I am not innocent I admit that but I am working on myself and never had a problem admitting when I was in the wrong.
Kelly said…
My first thought: "oh no! I didn't know today was wear-purple day!"
My second thought: "phew! I wore it by coincidence anyway"

Nothing to add really, except I totally agree. Of all the things to vilify in this world! I don't understand why some people try to insist that LOVING SOMEONE is criminal. It's so absurd.
Anonymous said…
Amen! I'm so sorry for what your friend is going through. I didn't know about the purple thing, but I was wearing my purple sneakers and scarf.

EQUAL RIGHTS FOR ALL
Raquelita said…
I am glad that you posted about this, and I'm very sorry to read about the discrimination and abuse your friend has had to face. I know many who have had to face bullying, abuse, and rejection by family members. We should all have equal protection under the law and equal rights as citizens regardless of gender, race, sexuality, creed, etc.
Lisa said…
Hooray for you for wearing purple. I'm so sorry to hear about your friends experience, hopefully that is becoming less and less the norm. Working in a school I often see first hand the devastating effects of bullying and harassment. We try our best to curtail it and punish the perpetrators, but with the rise of cyberbullying so much is out of our control. If we could promote more acceptance amongst adults and at a more national/global level I think it would make a huge positive difference in everyone's lives. Thanks for posting on this, you're making a difference by doing it.
Lorena said…
Yo, yo
You be looking fabulous in purple.
It is awful to hear what is happening to your friend. Its a story that seems to be too repetitive everywhere we look.
If we could just see past gender and see people....
Chelsea said…
your purple is gorgeous and your words are amazing! your friend Steven is so lucky to have you, and it's great for you to share a personal connection to the movement to stand up against bullying for LGBT youth (and those perceived to be LGBT or simply "different"). xoxo.
Sheila said…
I love your hair like this! You look amazing in purple.

Amen, sister! I totally agree with you on this. Will wear my purple tomorrow (I wish I'd known about this earlier) in solidarity.
lawyerdoll said…
I didn't know about purple day until it was too late! My stepson, Stinky, likes your necklace because it looks like paintballs- he's 8.
Unknown said…
I totally agree! It's so crazy that this is even an issue you should judge people on their personalities not what sexual preference they have.

P.S Your hair looks phenomenal!
Cyn said…
Fantastic post- I couldn't have said it better. I hope Steven makes some headway among all of the ignorance.

P.S.- Your outfit and especially your hair were spot-on this day.