My hairs
I get a lot of comments/questions on my hair. Mostly from people in public.I figured it was time to make a post so I can point people to it.
Going from left to right with the products then again with bottom row....
My hair grows SO SLOW. I only cut it once and year and avoid that if I can. I try to get Dave to cut it and he has been successful most times.
I dye my own hair. I use 37 by Feria. I used to use 36 but the store was out a few times ago so I moved over a number. I have to use 3 boxes with the length I have now. I am very methodical and it takes FOREVER that is why I go so long in between. I start by pinning up all my hair and I dye a little layer underneath. Have Dave check for dry spots then let down a little more. I do the exact same thing when I flat iron. Start on under layer. Ending with bangs.
I wash it daily. (I HAVE to) I use Bumble and Bumble red because Aveda are being jerks and discontinued the custom blends. I used to have them mix it up and add a lot of violet. Bumble and Bumble is wicked expensive for what you get so I would LOVE an alternative. I have tried everything "color safe" at this point I am more about a deposit shampoo and conditioner now.
I wash my hair at night and if it is wicked snarly I slap a little Kiehls 133. I don't brush it or comb it when it is wet. I put in a dollop of Moroccan oil while it is still soaking wet and I go to bed like that. You should see my pillow cases! Various shades of plum. (I actually have a few dedicated ones because of that)
I flat iron my hair most days (except this summer because I am TOO HOT) I have used lots of irons over the years but now I use a Hana Elite. You can read my full review here. I spray my hair in between sections with Ojon Shine Spray because I have decided plum dye sucks all the shine out of my hair. I have dyed it every color out there and this is the worst. The Ojon is potent and you don't need much.
Every few weeks or days depending on if I remember I do a deep conditioner. I am loving Lush's Henna and Fluff Eaze right now. The tubs says use the whole thing at once. THEY ARE CLEARLY HIGH on the smell in that store. I use a good glob. I have thick long hair and I don't need the entire thing. I put it in and either sit around all day with it in or I sleep on it. I put it in my hair and then braid it and sleep on it. I will warn you it is VERY fragrant but that is what I love about it. I used it last night and as you can see it is nice and fluffy today.
You notice I haven't mentioned combing or brushing my hair anywhere in there? I don't. I avoid it at all costs. I run a comb in the shower when I condition but other than that all fingers. It is so thick and heavy a comb and brush is useless.
I keep saying I am going to grow my own color in but the grow out stage to me is PAINFUL. I also have been dying it for 18 years so I don't know what is under there anymore. It has always faded in the sun. I had roots even as a kid.
I haven't changed much.
What are you using on your hair right now?
Comments
I don't brush or comb much now since I don't have the relaxer. I used to be obsessive with brushing and combing when my hair was straight.
I haven't used Feria in years. I know I don't have a lot of grey but its there...its there.
People tend to find my hair intriguing (aka: they want to "boink" it) and always ask me questions about it, so I just put up all my hair info in my FAQ page so I don't have to keep answering questions about it (I took down my formspring because 99% of the questions were in regards to my hair).
I am a natural brunette but have been coloring my hair red for years and I LOVE your color and am so happy you did this post!
I used to use ArtTec shampoo (I always bought at Ulta, with coupon) in Cherry Bark but it was taken over by, I believe, L'oreal and it's up to $18 a bottle now and I just can't justify the cost. Then I made an awesome recent discovery at Sally's Beauty Supply: Riveting Reds. Here's a link:
http://www.sallybeauty.com/red-hair-shampoo/SBS-496105,default,pd.html
I LOVE the shampoo and it's only $6.50! I will say that I'm not crazy about the conditioner which I didn't find too moisturizing. My hair is stick-straight and cut in a chin length bob and this conditioner didn't seem to keep my ends smooth enough.
If you decide to give it a try, I'd love to hear what you think!
-Mary :-)
Curly can straighten their hair and kinda feel what it would be like to have straight but its hard for a straight hair to know what its like to have those tight little curls. So we find them fascinating!
While I can straighten my hair I am never able to get it as sleek and shiny as women who have naturally straighter hair.
My hair fades a ton in the sun too, always has. I've been getting it highlighted the last few years, but recently I waited too long to get in and couldn't stand the gray and roots for another second, so yesterday I used a box of L'Oreal Preference in Dark Golden Brown. My hair always winds up with a touch of red in it, and now it's slightly burgundy in the right light, and I kinda dig it.
I use henna in my hair to cover the grays, I have to do it every 3 weeks. Its awful. But I hate the grays more.
My real hair color is dark brown but with the henna coloring its being brown with red lights or totally black.I am in between.
I use LeOccitane shampoo and conditioner for damaged hair. I also use a Brazilian treatment once a week to keep the color in and make it shiny.
When damp I apply Avon straightener or Jonathan Dirt cream.
Thats pretty much it-