Warning EXTREME RANT follows
Apparently because I put thought into my sartorial choice that gives people the right to say what ever the fuck they want about I wear. Unasked. Apparently today I look like Frankenstein. (Thanks work superior! Awesome really appreciate all the respect you show me)
Being thin doesn't give people the right to say whatever they want about you and what you eat
Being fat doesn't give people the right to say whatever they want about you and what you eat
Being tall doesn't give people the right to tease you about your height
Being short doesn't give people the right to tease you about your lack of height
Being curvy doesn't give people the right to speak about your breasts or butt
Being quiet doesn't give people the right to assume you are stuckup
Being talkative doesn't give people the right to call you annoying
Wearing heels doesn't give people the right to say "OH I'D NEVER WEAR THOSE" (who asked you?!)
Wearing flats doesn't give people the right to tell you it would look better with a heel
Someone professing their love doesn't give you the right to say how much you hate something. Didn't your mama raise you better than that. When asked please feel free to say it though.
Gaining weight doesn't give people the right to say you put on a few
Losing weight doesn't give you the right to say "You've lost weight it looks nice" as if it didn't before. losing weight doesn't = more beautiful
Not smiling doesn't give people the right to tell you to smile it isn't that bad. THIS IS THE FACE JESUS GAVE ME I am sorry it doesn't conform to your ideal of what a face should look like. Ever think I am perfect ecstatic and this is how I show it?
ARGH. I am not fucking Frankenstein nor does anything about me or what I am wearing resemble a horrible monster. I would never tell you that you have cankles. Show me the same damn respect. Caring about my clothes doesn't make me unbreakable. I do have feelings and you can hurt them.
I spent $125 on these shoes. You have single handedly ruined the experience of them. I am not able to dis attach myself from comments. I am trying to I am not that strong.
Think before you speak. Would I say this comment to your grandmother? Then SHUT THE HELL UP.
Don't even bother with a comment about constructive criticism and being open to it. I AM. I am talking about out and out rude unsolicited comments.
They were good enough for the Chanel runway.
They are good enough for me. So keep your fashion preferences to yourself.
Comments
I just don't like meanness at all, it takes too much effort to make someone feel bad about themselves when making them feel good has a greater reward!
People are assholes. I've had my Jeffrey Campbell Litas in red for about a week, have worn them twice and already I've been called Frankenstein about five times. I feel you. You are beautiful, your shoes are hot, and the rest of the world can fuck off.
I have to admit that I am guilty on occasion of speaking my opinion when it hasn't been asked.
This post is a great reminder to ALL of us to be respectful of everyone.
And for what it's worth...I really love that skirt and I still love those shoes! (See, again, my opinion wasn't sought but I gave it anyway - sometimes I can't stop!)
Constructive criticism aside, sometimes you just have to force yourself to say SCREW WHAT THEY SAY and try your freaking hardest to not let it affect you. You are the only person who can let yourself feel bad or defeated. Don't let anyone have that power over you.
You're fabulous. So are your shoes.
Why do people suck so much? Is it so hard to bite your tongue on the criticism, and loudly state your praise? Why do so many people feel like it elevates them when they knock someone down? Are people so tiny, really?
I'm not a confrontational person, but this sort of shit would make me so. "I look like Frankenstein? Thanks for making my day. You look like crap. Feel better?"
For the record, I think you look grand today. Really grand.
But you know what? Sometimes in life it all gets to overwhelming and quite frankly it isn't in your power anymore. I am dealing with a lot of stuff today and it was just one thing too many and it hurt and I didn't CHOOSE for it to hurt me it just did. Especially since I had predicted it was going to happen on Monday on twitter.
Now I do like comments and advice and constructive criticism all unsolicited. I just don't like rude people.
For example my MIL is very thin and people think because she is thin they have the right to yell at her "eat something" "do you ever eat" "oh your thin what do you have to worry about"
SHE HAS A FUCKING DISEASE that prevents her from putting on weight. Add to that she has diabetes and osteoporosis.
often people are mean because they are jealous or intimidated and they need to resort to mayhem and foolishness to make themselves feel better for a bit.
you look spectacular and apparently they are ugly on the inside as well.
dave makes me laugh...
"I look like Frankenstein? Thanks for making my day. You look like crap. Feel better?"
3 years ago, after 10 years of being dangerously overweight, my husband lost over 60 pounds. Now co-workers dont want to eat lunch with him, and say 'skinny-people' things to him. REALLY??? Noone really knows what his journey has been, and they don't care either. They just see someone doing something different and want to tear it down because it illuminates their own fears, hangups and inadequecies.
I think they are fabulous and that YOU are fabulous, but who cares what I think? It only matters what YOU think.
People just don't think before they speak (it's like their brain filter is turned off).
operationbeautiful.com
Also, can you report this to HR? I mean, shit, that is SO out of line.
keep rocking those clogs, they're fabulous!!
xo
sami
I think it's a good lesson. We all need to be more careful of those "off-the-cuff" comments. I once accidentally hurt a coworker's feelings pretty badly by saying something about her shoes. We were all asked to work an all-day event on our feet and were reminding each other to wear flats so we wouldn't die. She showed up in (gorgeous, I might add) 4 inch heels and I thoughtlessly said, "Oh no! Your feet! Did you forget to wear flats?" She was embarrassed and upset. I felt like shit when she confronted me. You can bet I am MUCH more careful now.
Wardrobe choices are such an individual expression. I know it really digs under your skin and bothers you. It would me, too. But try not to let it permanently sour your whole feeling on your awesome new shoes. I think you look great, as always.
<3 D'Et
Also, those clogs are absolutely gorgeous.
People have so much trouble keeping that sort of negativity to themselves... I never understand it.
Love you, Hillary!
It was actually my big boss who said it to a coworker and I overheard them. I think they wanted me to hear because they thought they were funny.
I choose my battles so instead of saying anything then when I would of screamed I vented here. and if you don't know by now I am a blurter. I blurt and if I think someone listened (anyone) I usually move on right then.
This made me angry obviously but I am dealing with a lot right now today specifically so it really got to me.
By the way, those shoes? Awesome.
1. When are you two going to have a baby/start a family?
2. When are you two going to get married/make it official?
3. Oh my gosh - you got married so young/old!!
How awful.
Don't let anyone ruin your fabulous shoes experience.
Wear em all week.
Those shoes are awesome! Please wear them again and again and again. You look amazing in them and you totally rock that uber high heel they have.
FEH on them!
I don't even know what I'd do or say if I overheard someone talk that way about me or another co-worker. I'm totally shocked that anyone on earth would! Sheesh! What is WRONG with some people?!!
I must say that I just love your whole outfit...from head to toe. Those shoes rock!!
I think you should declare "Clog Week" and wear them every freakin' day! They are amazing!
I am actually a little leery of clogs (I did them the first time around, back in oh, 1977 and again in 1981, yikes, I'm old!), and I'd really like to see you style them so that I can get used to the look and maybe try it again myself.
Hillary, you are such a fabulous person (I can tell you're fab in person, it just comes through). I hope you won't let this ruin your love for these amazing shoes. Stay strong! You are awesome!
I have been a fan for a very long time and am glad they are now easier to find and less people tease me for them.
My prized pair were recently retired as they weren't repairable :( troentorps with steel toe!
Thank you so much everyone!
Your shoes and your skirt are freakin' amazing!
I also initially thought this was an internet troll issue--when I read that it was your frickin coworkers my jaw dropped. How completely reprehensible! That whole "capping/charging on people to make oneself seem all clever and cool" is a mode of behavior that has always always hurt and disgusted me. I've been in your shoes (;-)) so to speak and my reaction was just like yours, especially in that I knew it shouldn't bother me but of course I am human and it did. Heh, in this instance, I would've seriously considered removing one of said clogs and throwing it at their heads!!! gahhh.
I hope your feelings bounce back and you are able to go on enjoying your fun and marvelous shoes. To hell with the nasty, violent, torch-waving mob of evil villagers! (cuz you know in calling you Frankenstein they assigned themselves parts as well! Huh, bet they didn't think of THAT.)
I think you should wear the awesome shoes every day this week! :)
Rock the clogs with confidence! Clearly, the clogs must have made a grand statement if your boss felt compelled to make a comment.