black, white and blue all over.

IMG_9390
Dress Banana Republic 2008
Coat Vera Wang 2008
Boot Merrell 2008
Earrings High Gear 2003
Ring High Gear 2008
IMG_9381
IMG_9414or this makeup detail?
Dress
mine
I got this dress when I was in Las Vegas last year. As with all black dresses there is detail you can't photograph well. It has a fitted long skirt with a waist with little pleats in it. I felt terrible Audrey Hepburn in it. If I remember correctly I paid $40 for it but it was a $120 dress. This coat I also think I paid $40 for but it was originally $80. I don't like to spend that much on a what I think of as "novelty" piece of clothing but I fell in mad love with it. I put it on a started dancing around. My inlaws were there and encouraged me to get it. It actually had blue on the black flowers. I have gotten more use out of it then I originally thought. There is a couple wears to wear it since it has an attached belt and flip up or down collar.
Some previous wearings.
remix two for one deal.vera wang coat(sorry removed and replaced remix with slightly different version)
Do you have any "novelty" items of clothing you wish you could get more use out of or thought you might when you got it?

That satin dress in the above picture with Dave is one of those items. I thought I could wear it all the time but it really looks too fancy in most situations the shine and sleeveless just make it harder to wear on a everyday basis. I paid a lot for it too (Lot for me it was $120) I also have this little capelet thing I bought at Forever 21 I was convinced would go with everything and I haven't yet found anything that looks good with it. I also have this Antropologie sweater I find impossible to wear. It is short and peplum which I find hard to style beyond the pencil skirt, everything else just makes me look short and squat in it. And it wasn't cheap!

Comments

Raquelita said…
That jacket is just gorgeous!

I have a couple of items like that, including a cropped sleeve swing jacket that just screws up the silhouette of whatever I'm trying to wear it with. It flummoxes me....
EvaNadine said…
its always disappointing when you shell out good money for something you absolutely fall in love with, only to find out you dont know how to make it work.
i love that anthro sweater! maybe dress it down with a pair of jeans? thinking back, i think most of the denim ive seen on you is trouser-cut (which i love) but do you have more fitted jeans? it might work with some skinnies...
Kenlie said…
OMG Smokin'.....lookin' good today...Jeez! I am in love with the coat.

I have several clothing pieces that I thought were a good idea. Sometimes it's not until after I see myself photographed in them..other times I get home and think WTF...
hillary said…
I don't wear skinnies. I don't like them, not my style. It doesn't look good with any of the jeans I own. (I own lots of cuts)
Nana Erin said…
Love this coat!~ Love it.

The earrings I am wearing today are like that. I adore them but they are so...MUCH, that I dont wear them very often. My outfit has to be really PLAIN to wear them and I can't wear a necklace and both of those things are hard for me.

I reviewed a nail polish maybe kind of a little bit today and I naturally thought of you. <3
Anonymous said…
That coat is really stunning, lady. I love it belted, too.

My favorite piece of clothing EVER is a sweater I bought in Tasmania. It's really romantic and girly, and goes with approximately one skirt that I own. That is all. Drives me BATSO.
Emily Kennedy said…
That's why I never buy things with peplums, but OMG the Anthro sweater is SO FREAKIN CUTE!
Rachel said…
The coat is amazing! Totally understand why you danced around in it, I think I would too!

I bought this midnight blue jersey sheath dress last fall thinking that I had a bazillion ways to style it, but it's got a slouchy, faux-turtle neck roll down collar (that I obviously can't explain) that I can't seem to get to work with anything! About all I've done with it is belt it and wear it plain, but I want to be able to pair it with oversized button downs and blazers. It just doesn't work. Frustrating!
Kelly said…
I love this coat. So much. You always look so great in it. And I love your hair too. Do you know that basically every day when I see your posts I think "wow that is fantastic hair"!

I have a lot of things I bought that I don't get as much use out of as I thought I would. But then, I get a lot of use out of things I thought I wouldn't. So I guess it evens out.
hillary said…
kelly thank you tuesday night I bought B&B surf hair and the past two days I woke up sprayed it and that's it. I haven't been able to do that in years. I AM IN LOVE. It was wicked expensive but a good friend promised I would love it.
Your coat is gorgeous, keeping the outfit colors just black and white cuts a very striking image.

The only novelty item I can think of is this black satin-y corset top I got at H&M on clearance for $5 - I actually wear that style top a lot going out, but this one manages to hide in the bottom of my drawer and I forget about it.
Kasmira said…
The jacket IS beautiful! Have you tried wearing it over a floral dress? I think that would be fun.
Anonymous said…
LOVE the coat! I bought a purple Liz Claiborne spring weight coat -- purple is my favorite color and I couldn't pass it up, even though I didn't really *need* it. But I wear it a lot -- it is my default light spring coat, I wear it with everything.