The friday where I jump out of my comfort zone

Click to enlarge this photo. (others aren't clickable. Is this bothersome?)
Ok so this dress is everything I am not. I don't wear fleshy toned clothes, I don't do low cut and I don't wear sleeveless. Yet I fell in LOVE with this dress. I wear it with a cardigan at work. I am modest and shy. I also added a lace cami that fits in so nicely in the neckline it looks intentional. The front has a slit at the bosom too! DARING!
Dress Nanette Lepore. She GETS women's bodies. I got an INSANE deal on it.
Cami Banana Republic
Earrings I made
Ring Peabody Essex Museum
Shoes Clarks
Cardigan Ann Taylor loft. I love it with its poofy sleeves. hee.
The dress has a ruffle down the left side front and back and the back has a train longer than front. and waist has rouching. gah the fit is so lovely.
How I actually look at work
Back detail
I decided recently I would rather have a few nice dresses than 5 or 6 cheap dresses. The companies I love fit me better than anything at Target has. So plan to see these dresses OFTEN. :) I noticed that I kept defaulting to some of my more spendy items. Mostly because they fit me well and to be frank I have body issues (cry me a river I KNOW) The first one was VERY hard on me. I am a cheapskate spending money is hard. But my husband whom is a damn saint at times said "well really it is a top AND a bottom so shouldn't it cost me than a skirt anyways?" I love him. But now I have a half dozen pretty dresses that I adore and feel like a million bucks when I wear. So now that is something I would invest more in, I hit the sales and get them on deep discount. (I have my limits though. The idea of spending $150 makes me want to faint and I couldnt' do it) This dress retailed for $395! What middle class person can afford that?? Not this girl.
What items are you willing to spend a bit more on?
This is a topic that came up on Cute on the Cheap awhile back and I am curious what your thoughts are. I know I asked about beauty treatments but what CLOTHING are you willing to invest in? Coat? Shoes? Jewelry?
I will spend more on shoes and dresses. Both I usally like to get on sale but thats sale on $$$ but I finally broke down and admitted Payless shoes SUCK. They hurt, my feet can't breathe and I never end up wearing them as I walk everywhere. No more cheap shoes. (well unless they really go with something. :P)
Comments
Um, I buy just about everything on sale. The most expensive piece of clothing I think I've ever bought is the Lauren by Ralph Lauren blue silk wrap dress I wore to a wedding last month. It was on sale, but still SO expensive (by my standards). I adore it, though, so I think it was worth it :)
Anyway, a question, I was wondering if it was you who had the really cool tatoo necklace and if was from
Ebay? I would love to get one for my niece
I will spend money on:
1. shoes. Even though my weight fluctuates, my feet (for now) don't, and when I'm feeling extra mcfatpants, compliments on me shoes make me feel all better. Briefly.
2. Bras. I have to- not a choice, really, as cheap companies don't make them in my size.
3. Coats. This was not the case til I moved to Chicago, obviously.
4. Anthro. For some reason, I just don't have a problem spending more there (and I know in fashion terms, it's not even THAT expensive), even though it's a toss up on whether or not you're getting good quality- it IS urban outfitters for adults, afterall.
5. This hasn't happened yet, but my back to school gift to myself is two nice everyday bags- one in brown, another in black. medium sized hobo style, buttery leather (distressed for the brown), minimal crap hanging from it. I HAVE TO. Cheap purses make me feel so, well, cheap. (cheap clutches, however, make me feel like a million buckaroos!)
Lesa I am the one! I got it from Etsy they are custom! and SOOO reasonable.
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6962737&&ga_search_query=tattoo+necklace+cherry&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=&order=date_desc&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title
Becky I am the same way. I never pay retail. (well if I do its like 3 times a year at most!) Thats the only way I can afford the desigerish stuff. My first expensive dress was $120 and I was 29. gulp (does wedding dress count, that was $350 and I was 24? I got that on clearance!)
one smarmy thanks! The cut is done by husband and highlights by a professional!
And very true about NL - she does get how women are shaped. Very rare.
I spend big on shoes, handbags, and coats. The eternal triad. I scrimp on jewelry and tees.
Have you thought about wearing it with a brightly colored cami underneath? That might be nice!
I actually think it's helping me to read through other's blogs. By looking at thier photos, I can get a better idea of HOW stuff should fit.
-b-
I'm always willing to shell out whatever it takes for a nice bra.
I don´t have a "spend meter" but, I do try to stay out of the really expensive places.
I buy many things in outlet stores and also try to never pay full price.
However if I have to pay, I go for either jewelry or handbags.
I see jewelry as an investment - just in case the future gets tough - and also as an upgrade to anything you wear.
Hope you have a wonderful weekend!
xoxo
As far as spending money, Erin (Work With What You've Got) and I were talking about this just last night at dinner. I was having a hard time thinking about what I will spend on until I saw your post and you mentioned bras. I will definitely spend for nice undergarments b/c the girls need quality or they would be in my belt. TMI? Sorry.
Not TMI at all. The gals need to be harnessed! I was 299 before I spent more than 30 bucks on anything!
Clare thanks!
ms. b thanks! you have a great weekend too!
masami Yes no cheap coats in your weather! omg I think mines bad but I know you guys have it MUCH worse.
Lorena. Thanks I agree. I don't go into Nanette the store but I hit Saks that hasthe wicked good sales on Nanette!
Hailey. thanks! I don't spend on jewelry myself but I encourage it in the mister. ha.
anna bananas MWAH
Kasmira. This was the only cami I already owned that fit this dress. I just bought the dress and was impatient to weatr it No worries I don't go out in public subjecting people to me without the cardigan. Too shy.
Kelly I actually want to talk to you regarding getting one of those bras that you can let hang out like a cami but its a bra. I know you are the expert!
BAM the quality thing is hard when you are a cheapskate like me. YOu need to get the husband to think its a good idea then it makes it easier. Once dave was selling me on it I got on board.
Sal it is a Triad huh? I totally agree. Its the hat trick of clothing.
Thank you so much everyone! mwah!
I am also shy about cleavage,etc. at work (you and I work in the same sort of environment) so I love your cardi with the dress, and the cami is ingenious.
Hair is LOVELY!
5 stars!