read read read

I have spent the last two nights reading. When I was younger that wouldn't be impressive. I spent every night reading. Every minute I could. My parents let me read when we were in restaurants. I remember going to Cranberries a local steak house and sitting in the lounge with my parents me so engulfed in my book I just muttered teriyaki steak tips at the waitress and went back to reading, mind you I was at most 9 at the time. Some how I find that less rude then 17 years olds now a days who are texting during a meal. My cousin came to visit colleges so we went out to dinner and I was trying to ask her what she wanted to see at the school the next day and she couldn't put the damn phone long enough to actually talk to me. I was enraged. I never ever see that part of my family and she was too busy texting everyone else in the world to talk to me. I was raised better than that. Honestly I would of been to scared to do that. I was taught to be respectful to adults and look people in the eye when they are talking to you. When I would read at the table I was little and it was just me and my parents and they prefered it so they could chat amongst themselves. But when you are visiting a relative??

Anyways I got off topic. So on Monday night I read Twilight by Stephenie Meyers. I read the whole book over the course of the day. On the T in the morning, during lunch, on the T home and on the couch at night. Taking an hour off to watch a new episode of The Closer. It was something along the lines of 490 pages. I was impressed with myself. Then I remembered how when I was younger I would read a book or two in a day. But Tuesday night I said I am going to read again tonight. We never even turned on the tv. (that NEVER happens in our house! we love tv) and I read 337 pages this time. So this morning proud of myself I sat down to write about how I was happy to be reading blah blah blah. Then I thought about what was the most I ever read in one day and I think it would be Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I read all 780 pages in one sitting. I got up to pee and dave brought me meals but honestly I laid on the futon we had at the time and just gobbled it up. I finished at 11 that night (it was the day it came out) and emailed my family that I was done and now people could talk about it. I had put the cabash on anyone saying anything to me about it in the week leading up to it coming out. I wanted to go at it fresh. I had the previous two ruined for me before I read them.

Dave starts back at school next tuesday and I plan to spend the this semester reading. I am not going back to school so that is how I am going to occupy myself. I plan on doing lots of knitting and crocheting when it gets cool. I over heat trying to do it now with the project on my lap.

oooh so the point of all this??? Check out the Stephenie Meyer series if you like books about Vampires. Its aimed at young adult so the steamy scenes end at smooching. (tame smooching at that) but its a very easy read. Be warned its a love story.

Comments

Katie said…
I totally went at the Twilight series with gusto. Finished the first two books on vacation in 2.5 days, then had the third waiting at home for me. I couldn't wait, so I searched the relatives at the beach to see who had #3 with them, and who was finished, and I borrowed it, read it in a day, and then the fourth and final book came out just a week after I got back from vacation. Perfect.

I found that, while the actual physical description of the kissing was tame, the emotional picture she painted was spot on.
Anonymous said…
I can't wait to dive into this series. I'm teaching 8th grade English, and many of my kids are SO INTO these books. Some of them will ONLY read these books, so I have to find others like them somehow!

There are so many great YA books out now. I'm on the tail end of the "Uglies" series by Scott Westerfeld now. I highly recommend it, especially if you like futuristic, dystopia stories.